R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dating a Haufe T14/1 Transformer for AKG Tube Mics  (Read 5242 times)

jackreynolds

Dating a Haufe T14/1 Transformer for AKG Tube Mics
« on: July 17, 2014, 02:05:33 AM »

Any ideas how old this transformer might be?

klaus

Re: Dating a Haufe T14/1
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 02:31:03 AM »

Post 1980s. And not one originally used in AKG mics.

They still look that way today. But looks can deceive: Haufe makes a special edition T14/1 with increased bass output for a copy mic manufacturer, to compensate for the decreased bass response of the capsule.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

jackreynolds

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 04:05:42 AM »

Hi Klaus,

Thanks very much for the info. The special edition T14/1 certainly sounds interesting. I wonder if they are available to general public? I had high hopes for my T14 here but if it is no better than the current production ones, i am probably better of going new as then at least i know it is 100% undamaged and perhaps more reliable.
BTW, I tried to buy your book on Amazon, but my payment was returned due to the book not having been printed yet! Looking forward to getting a copy when it becomes available.

Jack

klaus

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 11:30:13 AM »

Jack, I would just use the T14/1 you have. Damaged ones reveal themselves quite easily: They don't work. Chances that your transformer will work fine are therefore close to 100%.

No, my book is not available yet. The concept and release format is being revised. Be assured that I will announce availability when the time has come.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

jackreynolds

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 02:44:36 PM »

I have an opportunity to buy quite a large number of these NOS T14 but if they are the same as the current production ones i am probably better off using brand new ones, just for appearance really. I had hoped they might be vintage as they were originally owned by a BBC engineer. I have also been offered a BBC modified C12 and a spare CK12 capsule from the same source.
The increased bass response T14/1 you mentioned sounds interesting.  I wonder if they are available to the general public?

klaus

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 03:00:37 PM »

I am not quite sure what you would gain by installing a part that was specifically designed to compensate for the deficiency of another part. Should one not aim to avoid these deficiencies in the first place?

Besides, the capability of such a small transformer to deliver robust bass is limited.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

jackreynolds

Re: Dating a Haufe T14/1 Transformer for AKG Tube Mics
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 05:01:27 PM »

i see what you mean.

I suppose if the capsule is lacking in bass, why bother attempting to make up for it at the transformer stage.

rodabod

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 03:31:41 AM »

I have also been offered a BBC modified C12 and a spare CK12 capsule from the same source.

Would these be from London? (I'm at the BBC in London). As someone pointed out to me recently, often the outputs are padded with a H-pad to match the level to an STC 4038!

Roddy
Roddy Bell

jackreynolds

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 12:19:52 PM »

Would these be from London? (I'm at the BBC in London). As someone pointed out to me recently, often the outputs are padded with a H-pad to match the level to an STC 4038!

Roddy

Yes, they originated in london so it is indeed the H-pad mod you mentioned, to match the level to standard BBC mic of the time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.