R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PC Mastering DAW Online?  (Read 3450 times)

djwaudio

• Real Full Name: Dana J White
PC Mastering DAW Online?
« on: May 19, 2014, 01:27:43 PM »

A question for you all who are using Windows based mastering workstations, are your systems online?  Are you running virus software, etc?

I have a SADiE system that is not connected to the internet, so I shuttle files back and forth with clients by moving my hard disk over to the Mac, which is on-line.  The old "Sneaker Net" method, if you will. 

Just wondering in this day and age if I need to continue working that way, of if there's a better way?
Respectfully submitted,

Dana J White
Specialized Mastering
www.specializedmastering.com

Hermetech Mastering

• Real Full Name: Gregg Janman
Re: PC Mastering DAW Online?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 01:47:19 AM »

I have not had my studio PC online ever, and have been using one since 2000. I don't run virus software either. I use an old MacBook for all internet, email, office, and uploading/downloading of client files via FTP, and use a USB stick when I need to transfer files between the two machines. Works like a charm!

ArtSta

• Real Full Name: Artur Stawski
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 08:03:53 AM »

Same as Gregg- never online (well, once to activate the OS), no av. Using usb stick for transfer files (being scanned every time it is used at the internet machine with av software).

Art

KAyo

• R/E/P Forums
  • Real Full Name: KAyo
  • Business Videos 24/7
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 11:22:18 AM »

Hi Guys,

I've always been a PC Windows machine (several actually and now all on Win7) user.
All connected on an internal network and the Internet. I don't ever remember using a PC without the net on it. I use the main beast for my Audio-everything (LAN net 24/7), and a couple other Win machines for Midi and recording (on wireless net 24/7). No laptops. Ever! (in the game of audio gigging). Yuk! Not even for analysis..

My network runs off the beautiful LG Super Multi N2A2 NAS. Just sublime, this machine.
All PC's/ mobiles/ tablets.. everything has a network through this box. Sharing anything you want.. like a breeze. Perfect!

The 4 main softwares, I have always used to safeguard my PC's are ..
A good Firewall/ Malwarebytes full version/ Ccleaner and SpyBot Search and Destroy. That's it!

For quick registry and computer errors fixups, TuneUp utilities or Ccleaner again.
Nothing else, and I have never been bitten hard enough to cripple the computer unusable. Never!

Saying that, I don't run a studio for a living, nor do I do this as a full time gig.. or working in a studio for somebody else. And even If I did, it wouldn't be such a big deal to go on the net if required.
I would simply switch off the connection, when not required. Switch off the the LAN, via password permissions is another way. I would also unclick the LAN from the back of the PC to severe the physical connection. When needed, a simple pop back in. No biggie. Which reminds me, that ...at this point, right click on the Firewall/ Malware and exit them both. Engage them both, before jumping back online. DPC Latency checker will help to find if anything is hampering seamless audio work. Easy.

If getting on the net, be very choosy and quick about it all.
Essential audio related usages could be; Hardware-Updates or drivers or Plugin downloads or grabbing certain WINPC updates etc.. All other activities unrelated to an absolute Audio [must do requirement], can be done from other computers/networks ONLY. Do not surf the net on it as you can collect a lot of garbage just by doing that. You know the drill.

... and NEVER even try going on the net without a Firewall. If there was ONE thing you got out of this whole conversation here, it should be this. An absolute need for a FIREWALL at all times. I cannot stress this point enough. You have been warned.

FIREWALL= Prevention
All other softwares aforementioned= Cures

Also, when it come to firewalls, find the lightest and most intelligent ergonomical firewall.
DO NOT install Norton or Symantec etc.. Too bulky, and they drag the whole operating system down and impossible to fully uninstall. An absolute disaster for Audio computers. All the above mentioned softwares I use are the absolute opposite and work a treat. Light and nimble, plus, they don't knock on the CPU at all. (DPC Latency checker again)

Hopefully, I've helped..
Regards all..

KAyo

Gosh.. I'm hungry. hmm..

www.kantabiz.com
Business Video Directory

djwaudio

• Real Full Name: Dana J White
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 02:19:50 PM »

Is that firewall in WinXP sufficient if I just want to hang the PC on-line and use it to connect to my ftp server?
Respectfully submitted,

Dana J White
Specialized Mastering
www.specializedmastering.com

KAyo

• R/E/P Forums
  • Real Full Name: KAyo
  • Business Videos 24/7
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 12:58:27 AM »

Hi Dana,

As always, I speak from personal experience and from what I have seen in regards to the Windows7 Firewall, it's plenty sufficient for a quick On-the-Net excursion etc.. WinXP isn't.

But, even the Win7, as a long time partner, isn't intelligent enough nor very prompt friendly. Zone Alarm or Softperfect Personal Firewall or GhostWall Firewall or Tiny Firewall are all good for the game of prevention/protection.

After usage, unclick LAN wire from the back or switch off/disable the wireless adapter and exit firewall. Safest approach.

Ciao'
KAyo

www.kantabiz.com
Business Video Directory
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 22 queries.