R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Critic At Large Vol.VII, Part 2: The End?  (Read 11024 times)

Piedpiper

• Real Full Name: Tim Britton
Re: Critic At Large Vol.VII, Part 2: The End?
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2014, 10:31:26 AM »

I've used everything from AKG 535's to Shure 545's to Beta 58's live.

Once mixed, no one can tell what mic was used if the vocals sound good and are well balanced.

A great performance seems to equalize all that stuff out to where it isn't as important as you may think.

Performance sells 'downloads', not the gear you select.

I can always tell what mic I've used. live or recorded, no matter how I mix it, but mic choice doesn't keep me or the performer from doing our jobs as best we can, and if I'm not doing mine, the performer's is useless. Performance trumps all but it still requires and deserves everything both of us can give it.
row row row your boat...

Pied Piper Productions

J.J. Blair

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2014, 02:42:18 PM »

I have correctly identified the vocal mic on many records.  Certain mics, I just know their sound.

That being said, a track that many people asked "what was that vocal mic?  I love that," was a SM57 into a Mackie.  I got the track, and gave it some 1073 and 1176 love, and I think the compression is what people were responding to.  The singer was more of a talker, though, and I don't know if that mic would have worked as well if he should really sing.

Also, Elvis Costello's "No Action" was recorded using some old EV dynamic, if I recall.  Very compelling vocal, but due mainly to EQ and compression.

The mic is the transducer that takes the performance and converts it into electrical current.  If performance is the most important thing, then the mic has to be the second most important thing.  That's what captures the performance, and if some things are lost in that process, they can't be made up for later in the chain.

Jim Williams

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2014, 03:17:40 PM »

So, if "performance sells downloads", not the gear I select, then the ongoing de-evolution into using shitty audio recording equipment seems fully justified. No wonder I don't get these calls anymore where people are begging me to take them on as apprentices.

Maybe this is indeed a cleansing period, as one poster suggested: only those with passion for good audio stay in the game, and for all the right reasons.

I'll think of a name and motto for the New Audiophile Guild. Something like "Dedicated to the Preservation of Beauty, Art and  Bla Bla Bla in Audio…"

We join the others in passed-over industries. There are still a few horse coach makers in this country. Some still forge swords. We work on audio gear. Most people don't understand why when you can model anything off a laptop.

25 years ago I would visit Coast Recording in LA and marvel at the collection of old audio decks and consoles, most for sale at ridiculous prices. Every year I would see that same stuff, still on sale. Once I asked the owner if he was operating a audio gear store or a museum. They laughed but they aren't laughing now.

brightmillion

• Real Full Name: dan holman
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2014, 04:49:31 PM »

Maybe this is indeed a cleansing period, as one poster suggested: only those with passion for good audio stay in the game, and for all the right reasons.

Well, I hate to see civilization declining just as much as everyone here, but at least for me (us), if folks start giving up on good audio and start dumping all that old "expensive" gear in favor of newer disposable gear that doesn't need maintenance, that means more yummy gear at lower prices for me!  ;D 

I don't know nearly anything compared to you guys as to the "Why" great gear sounds great, but it makes me feel something. And my goal is to make records that make ME feel something first regardless if it sells or not. I just strive to make something one day that is truly great. Great sounding equipment captures that in my opinion, not so good stuff tries to make me THINK it has captured that. To me, it's the difference between talent and celebrity. Celebrity spends its whole time convincing me that I should care, but what did you really DO that I should care about. Whereas talent (great gear) doesn't need to convince anyone. It just does, for the sake of doing.

I recently was at a shop auditioning mics - mostly U47 style clones, and decent ones at that, and they sounded good, like, 'I could use this and my recording would sound very good'. Then, after comparing all the clones and picking my favorite I thought I could be satisfied with, I sang a few words through their vintage U47, put down the headphones and walked out the door. The vintage U47 gutted me, compared to the others- after comparing the others for some time I got 'used' to them and started picking which one sounded best, and it did sound best COMPARED to that field of choices.

But once you open up the field to include higher quality, it hits you like a brick. I think a lot of young people today have never heard their favorite records through any decent system, hence, I think that is why headphones are starting to replace earbuds. They DO make a difference. Maybe next, decent home stereos will come back (I guess the car stereo is the closest they have to this). If no one 'stays the course' to lead by example things are lost to trends and commerce, but not because everybody is stupid (ok, maybe most people are...) but some people just don't know what they are missing.

As a grade school kid I loved listening to the mainstream pop station on the radio because I discovered that I loved music and didn't know any better, but then my friend gave me a warped dubbed cassette of 'Zeppelin II' and my life changed forever. Every great book, film, music that I now love I discovered because of someone else who 'knew better' than me about that subject. And I am thankful for all those people because my life is more enriched. Otherwise I'd just be another guy who thinks pickup trucks and ice fishing are the pinnacles of life (no offense to trucks or ice fishing...)

I am thankful you guys exist, so that people like me can learn and appreciate the art of this gear at a higher level. And then someday I can pass that along to others. I sleep better at night knowing that there are people out there who I can trust to care for my babies when they get sick (no, not human babies, my vintage gear)   

That being said, if anyone is trashing their U47 in favor of some earbuds, give me a call....

Jim Williams

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2014, 01:20:02 PM »

The only difference I see in the affection of older recording gear and techniques is once upon a time you could make some decent money with it.

That is no longer the case. There will always be collectors though.

klaus

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2014, 06:15:15 AM »

I mangled a reply and in the process I deleted a whole, thoughtfully argued post. I have no ability to recover the post. I am awfully sorry.

Bottom line, when I hear nuances of difference described in terms of night and day on forums it irks me.   Night and day is the difference between hearing the ny philharmonic live or through a pair off earbuds.   Maybe there is a night and day difference between a 10 dollar radio shack condenser and a C12.    But some of the hyperbole is just ridiculous, it's like without a vf14 and marinairs you are some how left with an inferior recording.   It's even more absurd given the playback medium and systems typically used. Unless of course we are recording solely for out own enjoyment.

In the realm of audio we sometimes tend to exaggerate even small differences between sound impressions we heard. But who is to determine whether those differences heard were material or significant enough to the listener to justify an expensive purchase?  I have found that once a listener has heard these quality differences, small as they may be, s/he will never forget them and will forever try to acquire a mic which offers them. The rest ("with some EQ I can almost get there") is mental acrobatics.

Let's honor what we like and love and the sometimes extreme efforts we are willing to undertake to be closer to that experience.

Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Dinogi

• Real Full Name: Dean Giamette
  • Wow! A third star! I'll try to be worthy of it.
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2014, 06:11:50 PM »

Even with myself being entirely out of the same league as everyone else here, I find there are times that I too get frustrated with the state of reproduced music. Then I have the opportunity to hear a wonderful string quartet, or a talented pianist at a well behaved piano, or even my own guitar, a well set up Martin. It renews my passion for the quest for beautiful sounds. As long as there is well made music, it's worth the effort my brothers. It is very much worth it.
humbly submitted, dino
I'd trade everything I own now for a good sounding room and a bucket of 57's.

underblu

• Real Full Name: Stephen Steffani
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2014, 12:12:20 AM »

I mangled a reply and in the process I deleted a whole, thoughtfully argued post. I have no ability to recover the post. I am awfully sorry.

In the realm of audio we sometimes tend to exaggerate even small differences between sound impressions we heard. But who is to determine whether those differences heard were material or significant enough to the listener to justify an expensive purchase?  I have found that once a listener has heard these quality differences, small as they may be, s/he will never forget them and will forever try to acquire a mic which offers them. The rest ("with some EQ I can almost get there") is mental acrobatics.

Let's honor what we like and love and the sometimes extreme efforts we are willing to undertake to be closer to that experience.

Hi Klaus, no worries.  And what a great resource this forum is.    I was essentially agreeing with your position regarding the state of playback.  Even your top end Bestbuy midfi playback system can't do a lot of recordings justice. 

And I get those small differences you mention.  As a kid, I visited a high end stereo store and there was a room with Martin Logan CLSes powered by Krell Amps with a VPI turntable as the source that absolutely soundly like music to me, not electronics not even real high end electronics but music.  I will always remember that experience and tried to recreate it later with varying degrees of success.  I guess the memory of that moment was even greater than the moment itself.

Getting back to recording gear,  Don't get me wrong, I love vintage mics, vintage pres and comps too.  I've own and owned several and suspect I will own some more again.   Almost had a deal on a U67.  (One mic that at least for me, no acceptable clone exists, at least none that I've heard).  And the appeal of vintage mics is undeniable, they are after all the originals.  But this appeal for me is more due to my passion for the thing in itself and its historical context.  Not to say these vintage mics lack utility.   Quite the contrary, the utility or performance of these vintage mics (that have been well cared for) is second to none.   

However, I will say I have been happy with my Flea, Telefunken USA, BAE, UA, Retro Instruments gear.  The results I am able to derive with these tools compare favorably to some of my favorite recordings and to some of my favorite vintage gear.  And thats even after scrutinizing these tracks through a high end reference playback system.  Listening through buds or the bestbuy stereo, you could probably get away with far less and the differences I presume would be of negligible importance to most listeners.

That's not to say we shouldn't strive for something great or heatedly discuss the nuances we perceive.  It just seems silly to exaggerate these nuances into something larger then they are

klaus

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2014, 12:46:01 AM »

..and just as silly as denying oneself the pleasure of really good audio, once that bug has been planted in one's ear (greatest metaphor fail ever!)
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

Jim Williams

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2014, 12:21:25 PM »

When you walk into a modern home, what is missing?

Back in the 1970's and 80's, it was a neighborly competition to see who had the biggest, baddest stereo system.

A modern home doesn't even have one anymore. Critical music listening has taken a back seat to other activities.

Back when DSOTM was released, we would take it home, fire up the black light and lava lamps, sink into a bean bag chair, pop on the Koss 4-A headphones, light up a joint and sink into the music. It was, "don't bother me, I'm LISTENING!"

Try now to sit a 17 year old down to listen to a 3 minute song. They can't last more than 30 seconds before they get antsy and reach for a social communications device. Music has lost much of it's importance.

It once created social change, now it's a victim of it.

klaus

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2014, 12:56:27 PM »

I saved this quote, read somewhere:

Post-Telecommunications Act 96,' this generation's music for the first time has been selected by corporations and a handful of program directors. BIG DIFFERENCE

Yet another factor in the decline of music's relevance as art and life changer.

And to think that Bill Clinton (driving force behind the '96 Act) was our (the Baby Boomers') most powerful representative ever burns me. Shitty saxophonist to boot.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

Bodyslam

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2014, 08:20:33 PM »

Try now to sit a 17 year old down to listen to a 3 minute song. They can't last more than 30 seconds before they get antsy and reach for a social communications device.

That's the reaction I have when listening to an mp3. Since the 17 year old has likely listened to nothing else his whole life, this is the reaction he's conditioned to.
Paul Stubblebine

<a href="http://www.paulstubblebine.com" target="_blank">http://www.paulstubblebine.com</a>

jaykadis

• R/E/P Forums
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2014, 02:36:19 PM »

I think the reduced sound quality is an effect rather than a cause. Frankly, some mp3s sound better than much of my record collection does now. It's more likely due to this generation's lifelong exposure to visual stimulation in games and videos. Music's become a background consideration, which is unfortunate: I can't imagine losing the experience of listening to music and conjuring my own internal visual experience.

Deuce 225

• Real Full Name: Tim Cochran
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2014, 08:06:47 PM »

I seem to remember reading a post by a former Motown employee reminding us that even back in the 60's, the idea of a consumer playing a record on a cheap record player using a $10 cartridge caused their engineers to ask the same type of "Why do we go to some much trouble ?" question that Klaus posed in his original post.

By sheer coincidence, I sat with my oldest son listening to music for an hour last night on our studio Tannoy's with the Manley/Sax Mastering Lab X-overs.  He was blown away by the level of detail he was hearing in some of his favorite songs -vs- what he has grown accustomed to hearing on his computer and/or ear phones.

Lastly for levity -- why do I go to the trouble to purchase locally roasted coffee beans on a weekly basis, grind the beans just prior to brewing and brew in a Technivorm Moccamaster coffee maker?  Because "I" can tell the difference and it makes "me" happy...
Best,
Tim Cochran

klaus

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2014, 08:46:36 PM »

By sheer coincidence, I sat with my oldest son listening to music for an hour last night on our studio Tannoy's with the Manley/Sax Mastering Lab X-overs.  He was blown away by the level of detail he was hearing in some of his favorite songs -vs- what he has grown accustomed to hearing on his computer and/or ear phones.
And, just by sheer coincidence, right before I wrote this, I sat down with my son (12) and we listened to three versions of Mingus's "Good Bye Pork Pie Hat" - the original, then Jeff Beck's George Martin-produced version on vinlyl (Thorens-EAR-Allen Organ Amps with 6550s-Tannoys), finally the new Tobias Hoffmann Trio's version on CD*

All I can do is offer the goods - good music, well recorded, and played on good equipment- it either sticks or it doesn't. I am done with proselytizing.

* a stupenduous CD by an up-and-coming guitarist- imagine Bill Frisell on LSD. This CD is so well engineered, I can turn the stereo all the way up, but the music retains its balance, even sounds better, and stays clean. No trace of digital harshness.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 18 queries.