R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bit Perfect  (Read 3280 times)

djwaudio

• Real Full Name: Dana J White
Bit Perfect
« on: April 29, 2014, 08:47:45 PM »

I just picked this app up for my office iMac.
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/bitperfect/id455545700?mt=12

After annoying issues with audio dropouts and distortions from the Mavericks OS and firewire/usb devices (Orpheus in my case), I was resigned that good audio was not happening with this machine.  Everything seemed to be getting sample rate converted and who knows what else, it sounded terrible to me.

I started looking into audio players that were bit perfect or allowed the use of integer mode and came up with "Bit Perfect" from the app store.  It works with iTunes as a player and "hogs" the audio device.  Having just installed it, iTunes is now playing tracks that were recorded at various sample rates, and the Orpheus is locking up to each new SR.  It seems to sound significantly better than iTunes without it.  I still need to do some null testing to see if it is indeed bit perfect, though. 

I can now use this machine to audition tracks that clients upload, so this is a big help.
Respectfully submitted,

Dana J White
Specialized Mastering
www.specializedmastering.com

OMas

• Real Full Name: Oliver Masciarotte
Re: Bit Perfect
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 10:06:29 PM »

I just picked this app up for my office iMac.
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/bitperfect/id455545700?mt=12

After annoying issues with audio dropouts and distortions from the Mavericks OS and firewire/usb devices (Orpheus in my case), I was resigned that good audio was not happening with this machine.  Everything seemed to be getting sample rate converted and who knows what else, it sounded terrible to me.

I started looking into audio players that were bit perfect or allowed the use of integer mode and came up with "Bit Perfect" from the app store.  It works with iTunes as a player and "hogs" the audio device.  Having just installed it, iTunes is now playing tracks that were recorded at various sample rates, and the Orpheus is locking up to each new SR.  It seems to sound significantly better than iTunes without it.  I still need to do some null testing to see if it is indeed bit perfect, though.

Hey Dana,

Unless there's a pathological problem, it should be bit-perfect. That said, IMO it's not the best player out there, especially if you want to loop through some analog outboard and back into digital land. Now that you have that app, you may want to try the demo versions of Audirvana Plus and Amarra.
Best regards,
OMas

O.A. Masciarotte        415-997-TECH (8324)
  tweets omasciarotte    ::      seneschal.net
  othermunday.com       ::        hifizine.com

djwaudio

• Real Full Name: Dana J White
Re: Bit Perfect
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 01:05:21 AM »

Thanks Oliver, it's not for production work, just for checking mixes and enjoyment listening.  SADiE and WL are taking care of those duties, happily.

8)
Respectfully submitted,

Dana J White
Specialized Mastering
www.specializedmastering.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.