R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for reviews of my Freshman engineering debut  (Read 2523 times)

Dan Lawrence

Looking for reviews of my Freshman engineering debut
« on: April 22, 2014, 12:01:52 PM »

I've spent the last few years coming to these forums for advice on gear and techniques. Now that I've completed my first recording project, I was wondering if there's anywhere in the forums where it might be appropriate to post a soundcloud link to the tune, so that willing participants could shred my skills and tell me how to improve.

Thanks for all the great learning and pros hear at PSW

Dan @ Mountain Sound

Fletcher

Re: Looking for reviews of my Freshman engineering debut
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 01:12:16 PM »

We don't really do that kind of thing here... I think they do that kind of stuff on "Gearslutz".  There are a couple of reasons we don't do that here -- the main one being that its your work, and its your art... how the hell are we supposed to know your intentions / goals for the project? 

At the end of the day... if it sounds good to you while you're listening to it in the car -- then its good.  If you hear something while you're driving in the car that bugs you -- fix it!!  I've found that my car is about the best "reference" I have... and its the place where I really hear all the things I hate about my work.  That said -- don't beat yourself up too badly!!!  I've generally found that its rather difficult for me to listen to anything I've worked on for a good decade after its been released.  I know where the warts are [and they bug the shit out of me] -- it usually takes me about a decade [in some cases, a decade and a half] before I can listen to the stuff as just "music" [one of the pitfalls of the profession... or at least it is in my world].

Sorry about the lack of "critique" kind of help... but at the end of the day --- you [or you and the artist] are the ones who should be the final arbiter of what is "good" and what "ain't good" about the product.

BTW -- if you do check out the Gearslutz "review" thing... you should realize that the majority [like VAST majority] of the folks that populate that site are pretty much fresh out of engineering school and have marginal skills.  There are a couple of actual professionals that hang there... but they're the exception rather than the rule.

Peace
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Jerome Malsack

• Real Full Name: Jerome Malsack
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 01:25:39 PM »

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 11:29:04 AM »

Thanks for that soundcloud tip Jerome, I had posted the song there but didn't realize they had that forum.

I understand about the review/critique issue here. Ironically, the night I came out of mastering and put a sample disc in my car stereo, I found something had just recently come loose in my door frame and made a horrible buzz w/ many frequencies. I also had to move and break down my studio just as we were going into mixing, so my reference was completely shaken, and it seems all my friends listen to music through computer speakers or TV. Oh for the days of hi-fi ...

Thanks for the site.

d
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 23 queries.