R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ISRC's in WAV files  (Read 3226 times)

BiigNiick

• R/E/P Forums
  • Real Full Name: Nick Landis
ISRC's in WAV files
« on: April 10, 2014, 02:54:32 PM »

just saw this yesterday, but there is apparently a new field in the BWF format to add ISRC's.  here's a link to the MPG London talk about it.
http://new.livestream.com/eventstreamingcompany/mpguk

long overdue for this in the WAV format.

- nick

Twerk

• Real Full Name: Shawn Hatfield
Re: ISRC's in WAV files
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 11:50:50 AM »

Waves supporting ISRC's? Apple selling lossless audio? What's next, brick-wall limiters being banned?  :P

Pretty psyched about this!

Hermetech Mastering

• Real Full Name: Gregg Janman
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 01:54:32 PM »

Me too, lots of great news recently!

ArtSta

• Real Full Name: Artur Stawski
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 02:27:48 PM »

Well, I'm not. Maybe I'm different.
This is definitely a good direction where this is going,  but it should have happened years ago.
Changes arrive way too slow.
- ISRC- well, ok, but there should be ability to encrypt ISRC in wav files to disallow any alteration by anbody not owning the private key. This would also open several possibilities to file tracking and restricting free copying and publishing (please let me know if I missed something- I haven't watched MPG webcast yet, I am going to do that today).

- Apple lossless- Will it change the game ? We'll see in a few years. For now, if it has any meaning it has only for Apple- they just bring attention to them, but the music is not going to be (or sound signifficantly) better because of higher word length/sampling rate and no lossy coding (most people who buy music won't hear the difference and they do not even bother about it- they just want the music they like). I'd love to be wrong here, really.

Just my $0.02.

Art

BiigNiick

• R/E/P Forums
  • Real Full Name: Nick Landis
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 01:26:22 PM »

- ISRC- well, ok, but there should be ability to encrypt ISRC in wav files to disallow any alteration by anbody not owning the private key. This would also open several possibilities to file tracking and restricting free copying and publishing (please let me know if I missed something- I haven't watched MPG webcast yet, I am going to do that today).

oooo,  that sounds like a good idea. . .  there's always a way around it, but sounds like another SCMS type thing.  maybe not a great idea...  i think wav file just now adding ISRC compatibility is a bit late to the party, but such is the nature with standards.  i like the 'outside the box' ideas and having some control for the artists, labels and engineers would be good.  the internet is much like the wild west in lots of ways...

- nick

ArtSta

• Real Full Name: Artur Stawski
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 04:05:53 AM »

Well, copy protection is just one of the ideas  :).
I think standards are slowly adopted when there is no money involved. Such implementions likely generate more costs for software vendors (developing, testing, writing documentation, etc.) and there is no direct/enumerated income behind this.

Art
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 18 queries.