R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Federal AM864  (Read 3550 times)

AusTex64

• Real Full Name: Robert Mokry
Federal AM864
« on: April 06, 2014, 09:31:16 PM »

I post on Klaus' forum, but this is my first post here.

I've been offered a Federal AM864 for $800. Meter has been replaced with a period correct Weston meter, unit has been recapped, all else is original. But it has the 100Hz to 5000Hz transformers. How concerned should I be about this? Any idea how many were sold with these transformers vs the full bandwidth transformers? Or are these transformers part of the sound of these units?

Any comments about Federals, especially units with the "dialog transformers" will be greatly appreciated.

Robert Mokry
LightParts Inc.

Fletcher

Re: Federal AM864
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 02:31:34 PM »

I'm not sure about the transformer part... but all of the Federal units I've used over the years have sounded stellar... especially on guitars which should be in the 100Hz - 5kHz wheelhouse.  If nothing else its cheap enough so if you don't like it you can probably get more for it on eBay or in the Gearslutz classifieds...

I hope this is of some assistance.

Peace
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

AusTex64

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 12:26:40 AM »

Yes, your reply was very helpful. I'm gonna pull the trigger. Thanks for your insight - "stellar" did it for me. How can I pass up "stellar"?!!!

AusTex64

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 10:50:36 PM »

Just want to report that indeed, the Federal sounds pretty stellar. The seller was an old ham radio guy. When I asked, "are the tubes all good?" he whipped out a box of NOS, never used Sylvania tubes and put all new tubes in! I've changed out the electrolytic caps that need to be replaced and am working on moving the threshold and ratio controls to the front, along with adding attack, release, output pad and meter zero adjust pots. But even unmodified, it sure does sound good on bass. Trying it with guitars tomorrow night.

Fletcher

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 11:46:28 AM »

Sounds like you're on the bonus plan and then some!!

Congratulations!!

Peace
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

druhms

• Real Full Name: JJ Crews
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 07:36:48 PM »

The Federals have a good bit of mojo to give. They've pretty much been outed, to the general public, as a secret weapon used by hotshot engineers / mixers. Steve Firlotte was responsible for making them even more useful in the studio. He mods them in some way that adjusts certain parameters to better fit our needs.  He's a super nice guy.  He is the guy that makes Inward Connections stuff. It may be worth sending it to him if you're wanting the full monty.
By the way, $800 is an excellent price. Well done!
JJ
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.