R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What do you think of this?  (Read 1718 times)

Level

What do you think of this?
« on: September 06, 2004, 12:49:05 AM »

http://www.mailtribune.com/archive/2004/0903/biz/stories/02b iz.htm

I find it disturbing. I have many products whose component parts were made all over...and proudly, the unit will say "made in the USA"

So...lets suppose you are a start up company and need some chips from Asia, a transformer from Germany, wire from Japan, Pots from Switzerland and hosts of other countries, where does one draw the line?

So what if they took a raw material from Asia, put the terminations on it in house and sold it as "made in the USA".

I find this is the Government sticking its nose into something that is ridiculous.

Your thoughts?
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

John Ivan

Re: What do you think of this?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2004, 07:43:30 PM »

Hi;

In my opinion, The cable was not made in America. Do they have packaging that makes claims about the cable? Like,"very low noise" "Made in USA"? If they do, they should have known better. He might have been confused about the law but, If folks are going to make that claim, it should be true. I understand that we can't make every part of every product but I also think there should be an effort made for clarity. We wont have to worry about it pretty soon anyhow. Before long, Nothing will be made here and we can all just watch T.V. -:}!!  

{sorry}
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

floodstage

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2004, 10:30:26 AM »

The link you posted mentions that some of the cables were already complete, manufactured and assembled outside the U.S., and were then  relabled "made in the U.S." so that probably does break the law.

The method of enforcement (search and seizure of 600k of product) does seem a bit heavy handed though.

Personally, it doesn't matter to me who's flag the manufacturer has wrapped around a product. If the U.S. product is the best value I'll buy it.  If it's crap made in the U.S., they can keep it.

John Ivan

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2004, 10:46:15 PM »

floodstage wrote on Wed, 08 September 2004 09:30

The link you posted mentions that some of the cables were already complete, manufactured and assembled outside the U.S., and were then  relabled "made in the U.S." so that probably does break the law.

The method of enforcement (search and seizure of 600k of product) does seem a bit heavy handed though.

Personally, it doesn't matter to me who's flag the manufacturer has wrapped around a product. If the U.S. product is the best value I'll buy it.  If it's crap made in the U.S., they can keep it.

Hi Floodstage:

I agree with your thought on American Crap. But I also wish the powers that "BE" would realize that ,in the long haul, they are responsible for more than just the bottom line of there company..What I mean by this is, there needs to be philosophical shift in the way business is taught in this country. As a nation,I feel we need to do as much as we can to build very high quality products here. I have so many friends who have lost their jobs,their health care and so on because there is no sense of community anymore.The waist of human resources in the name of saving a buck has become a way of life. A business model if you will. I see this with the use of drum machines all the way to shipping our best jobs over the ocean.

Having said that, I to will pick the better product,without regard to it's country of origin.
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 22 queries.