Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help..  (Read 2586 times)

ohroadtech

• Real Full Name: Al Rettich
Help..
« on: March 29, 2014, 09:46:09 PM »

I am wanting to build a small "post" studio in my basement. Currently I'm taking a Avid SC48 with Alesis HD24's. My problem is the SC-48 doesn't handle many Waves plug ins well. I'm looking for another way to get the DSP to use my plug ins. I'm open at changing consoles, as other features in the recording world look like they would be able to help me. DAW's I've been told that I'd have to buy the preamps to work them them. I'm treading in area I'm not to familiar with here. This is why i'm asking for help.

Tim Halligan

Re: Help..
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 11:53:29 AM »

Al,

Just wondering what you think you would gain by using a digital console rather than a DAW?

Presumably you would be playing back your show recordings from files, rather than from a multitrack like a Radar, so it seems somewhat counter-intuitive as most DAWs offer more features than most of the current console contenders.

Still, if it were me and I was to go down that route, I'd probably look for a DM2000 for short dollars if possible.

HTH

Cheers,
Tim
An analogue brain in a digital world.

ohroadtech

• Real Full Name: Al Rettich
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 02:14:52 PM »

Tim,
I was told by a person I trust, that what I'm trying to do I would have to purchase all the preamps to go with it. Currently, I'm using a Avid SC48 with Alesis HD24's. Rarely do I need to record as most times it's all recorded out in the field. On top of that he told me that by using a DAW it wouldn't handle doing my waves plug ins I'd still have to get a separate computer for that.

Now, I am willing to hear he's wrong, if you can show me proof. I openly admit I'm in a area where I'm not familiar with. IF we were in the live side of things I'd know what to do.
Tim,
I was told by a person I trust, that what I'm trying to do I would have to purchase all the preamps to go with it. Currently, I'm using a Avid SC48 with Alesis HD24's. Rarely do I need to record as most times it's all recorded out in the field. On top of that he told me that by using a DAW it wouldn't handle doing my waves plug ins I'd still have to get a separate computer for that.

Now, I am willing to hear he's wrong, if you can show me proof. I openly admit I'm in a area where I'm not familiar with. IF we were in the live side of things I'd know what to do.

Tim Halligan

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 09:47:21 PM »

Hmmm...

First, if you're only going to be mixing...why would you need preamps? You're simply transferring files.

Unless you want to be able to offer overdubs to the client - do you want to take another swing at the vocal? - kind of deal...in which case you could purchase or rent as few or as many preamps as you need.

Second, every DAW will offer some kind of plugin support - VST, AU, AS, RTAS, AAX. Now what I'm not sure about is whether your Waves plugs from your SC48 - which presumably are Soundgrid - will transfer to a DAW. I imagine that given that the SC48 is Avid...and Protools is Avid, that there would be some kind of interoperability. It may simply be a case of moving an Ilok from machine to machine. That said, it may well paint you into the Protools corner, rather than another brand of DAW whose workflow may be more to your liking.

Have you asked Avid or Waves about compatibility?

Cheers,
Tim
An analogue brain in a digital world.

headstack

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 09:39:26 PM »

Al,
Do you own the SC-48?
At the cost of that rig, you could be running a serious HDX system with enough horsepower to run a lot of instantiations of many plugs.
You could also throw in a UAD Quad or Octo card with a bunch of very fine plugins for a few grand, and still be well in the budget ballpark.
This would leave enough for a few channel strips to record a stereo setup plus a vocal, or a room mic, etc.
Need more?
Rent, or wait till a session that warrants enough mic input to pay for them.
A VPR rack and a bevy of some of the 500 series pres available today packs a powerful wallop.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 21 queries.