R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Capsules in cardioid & multi-pattern mics  (Read 10741 times)

klaus

Re: Capsules in cardioid & multi-pattern mics
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2014, 11:27:23 AM »

Your mentioning of the shortened contact needles is confusing. The capsules in Kk56 do not have needles like k54...

http://www.neumann.com/?lang=en&id=hist_microphones&cid=km56_publications
Look "General information about the KM 56" and you can see the springs and all the other components too...

Klaus, that you have been able to transplant portions from each type to the other does not mean I am wrong, but rather suggests, that there are two versions of kk56.

You are right, I mixed up the lead-outs of KM86 (short contact needles) with KM56 (single wire attached between backplates). To avoid confusion, I removed the erroneous statement from my earlier post.

As to different versions (and sizes) of KM54/56 capsules: Neumann only made one type of KM5x nickel diameter capsule. Maybe you mixed that up with the East German copy of the KM54, which looked somewhat similar, and also used nickel diaphragms?
By the way, the Neumann info you referenced confirms the similarities of KM56 and KM54 capsules: "For the microphone capsule itself substantial parts of two KM54 capsule (sic) are used".
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

John Willett

• Real Full Name: John Willett
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2014, 11:59:55 AM »

About a decade later Neumann introduced the KM 66, which was followed later by the KM 76 and 86; it had a capsule head in which two separate, single-membrane cardioid capsules were placed back to back, a slight distance apart. The microphones had three patterns but when they were set as cardioids, only the front-facing capsule was used while the rear-facing capsule had little if any acoustical influence.

The Microtech Gefell UM 930 and UM 930 TWIN are also like this, having two, separated, cardioid capsules.

aremos

• Real Full Name: Ariel Remos
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2014, 12:32:32 PM »

John, thanks for chiming in! Your comment actually pertains to the ORIGINAL QUESTION:
What is the sonic difference between the M930 (cardioid only) & the UM930 (multi-pattern), when both mics are set to cardioid?
You can get into technical-physical aspects if you have to.

So, the multi-pattern version has a completely separated (entire) capsule. I guess it is "disconnected?"
when set to Cardioid ...  but there must be some type of different vibrations going on that would make it sound different than its single capsule version?

(Hopefully the question is clearer now for Klaus & he can give his input.)

Peller

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2014, 07:55:56 AM »

Apart from stereo microphones which naturally require two capsules, I can think of only three dual-capsule microphone designs in the history of studio condenser microphones.

Supposedly there were a couple of heads for the AKG C451 series that were dual-capsule designs: the CK6 and CK4. I've never seen either.

The related C34 stereo mic was, as it were, a dual-dual-capsule design: each side has two directional capsules based on the CK1 and mounted back to back. At least that's what the marketing materials stated.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 23 queries.