R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lucas CS4  (Read 3197 times)

MrChick

• Real Full Name: José Luis Chicote
Lucas CS4
« on: March 16, 2014, 05:50:51 AM »

Hi all,

For your experience and information, do you think the CS4 worth it?

Thanks for your help!

Fletcher

Re: Lucas CS4
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 09:57:30 AM »

Doesn't really matter what I think... it matters what you think.  What I think is that if you're curious its worth giving the thing a try -- but I will add the caveat that when you do, try 3 or 4 other microphones in the same price range so you can really make an educated decision as to what will work best for your music / purposes.

Peace
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

MrChick

• Real Full Name: José Luis Chicote
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 05:35:01 AM »

Thanks Fletcher, That's the ideal way but I can't try the CS4 if I don't purchase it. So I think share your experience is good for all us.

In my LDC's collection are U67, U87, M990 and C700s. I think that the CS4 might complement the others, as it could be other m7 mic (Urton, Geffel...). My hesitate is after waiting 7 months for the Lucas, it come in a difficult moment financially speaking. I can pass by and to get other mic in a future or to do the effort and purchase the CS4 now. So, in this situation what would you do? The CS4 worth the effort now?

DigitMus

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 03:00:31 PM »

Lucas microphones are very limited in supply, and apparently in great demand. The very few used ones I've seen sell for at least what you pay for them new, and often more. My advice would be to get on the waiting list, and in the mean time try to find someone who owns one who will let you get a little "hands on" experience.
  Worst case scenario is: you actually have to buy it in order to hear it - you hate it, and sell it immediately for the same amount you paid.

just my 2˘

Scott

Fletcher

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 09:10:31 AM »

Be VERY wary of "all sales are final" kind of situations!!  We're talking about a highly subjective tool which may or may not work for your sense of aesthetic -- if you can't "try before you buy" then my recommendation would be not to buy it at all [unless you find a way to run it through its paces for several weeks and can make an educated decision].

There are a whole bunch of tools that may work as well if not better for your intended applications -- and pretty much every tool in that group can be run through its paces [call it a "dating period"] before you have to make the final adoption [or marriage] decision.

Back when I was a full time recording engineer I found myself buying stuff that was being hyped by some sales guy [most of whom were EXCELLENT advisors -- most of the time] and I'd buy the thing.  On more than one occasion I got the tool, gave it a try, found myself "loving" it when I first tried it out and then about ˝ way through the album starting to get second thoughts... and by the end of the album I found myself hating that piece of gear and wondering what the hell was going through my mind when I thought that piece of gear was the greatest things since the invention of indoor plumbing.  Needless to say -- by then it was too late to do anything but take a financial hit and sell the damn thing.

That experience is what led my old shop to have the "try it as long as you need to make an educated decision" policy [most joints limit it to 30 days -- which in all honesty should be more than reasonable].  Even if the return costs you a 10-15% "restocking" fee -- its more than worth it [you got to use the unit and really put it through its paces... which is a HIGHLY valuable event!!].

I sincerely wish you the best of luck with your search... and hope the Lucas mic works out for you... but YOU are the ONLY one who can make the decision as to whether its the appropriate tool for the way you work and buying it [or anything else for that matter] "blind" is a fool's errand -- I would highly recommend you avoid that particular errand.

Peace
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 24 queries.