R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trust - Joyland; terrible mixdown?  (Read 3868 times)

TheDarkInstall

• Real Full Name: Owen Frow
Trust - Joyland; terrible mixdown?
« on: March 04, 2014, 07:33:35 AM »

Hi

I recently listened to the new album by Trust, entitled Joyland.

In my opinion, despite being a commercial release, the mixdown has been messed up badly.

The vocals are incredibly low in the mix, to the point of it being unlistenable.

I am wondering though, if this is just me who thinks this though, and that they are actually OK.  Would anybody else be able to have a listen and let me know what they think?  If the vocals sound like this on purpose, I think someone involved in the process has made a very poor decision...

A stream of the album can be found here.  Please let me know what you think.

http://pitchfork.com/advance/357-joyland/

Thanks

Jim Williams

Re: Trust - Joyland; terrible mixdown?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 10:57:38 AM »

The vocals are incredibly low in the mix, to the point of it being unlistenable.
Thanks

That's how music with less than stellar vocalists are mixed these days. Bury the bad, as they say...

Fletcher

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 11:20:10 AM »

Better shitty vocals than "auto-tuned" vocals!!
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

TheDarkInstall

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 04:46:02 PM »

Thanks for the response.

I realise that burying the vocals might be a 'thing', but this seems excessively bad.  The vocalist is very good, in my opinion, and has a unique style that I really enjoyed on the first album (which seems to have been mixed perfectly).  I sincerely think that an error has been made here and was wondering what the rest of you thought.

Did you listen to the music on the link I posted?

Also, do you have any other examples of mixes which bury the vocals to this extent?

Cheers!

Fletcher

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 01:19:03 PM »

When I was coming up I spent a few years working with Jimmy Miller.  Jimmy, as you may or may not know, produced some of the best Rolling Stones records ever made [Beggar's Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile On Main St., and Goat's Head Soup].

One day when I was mixing a project we were working on Jimmy mentioned to me that Mick Jagger liked his vocals mixed down as far as possible because he felt it made people listen deeper when they were listening to the product [I doubt he used the word "product"... I'm paraphrasing].

My point being that some folks think that vocals mixed back is valid... and seriously, who are we to second guess the "artist's intention" [as I'm quite sure the artist approved the final mixes... maybe not, but probably as most A&R weasels I've met like the vocals mixed up front as much as possible].

Peace
CN Fletcher

If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

DarinK

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 07:20:18 PM »

The link is no longer active. Maybe the original link had one side (left or right) with polarity inverted and you were listening in mono?  Maybe the whole thing has one side with inverted polarity and no one noticed because it wasn't checked in mono? (If you were listening in stereo when you heard the problem then this can't be it.)
Or maybe it's just an artistic decision.  I can't even guess because I haven't heard any of it.  I'm sure the band has some sort of web presence where you can contact them directly with your concerns.

TheDarkInstall

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 08:08:18 PM »

Sorry for the delay in responding.

Ha, well I certainly did bring this up on their Facebook page.

And they banned me!!!

I suspect that this means they do know about this, but it is too late now things have gone to print and the album has been released.  I have never heard such a major mess up before with mixing, but I guess nothing can be done about it now.

I honestly don't think this was an artistic decision, which I agree we have no right to comment on; this is an out and out mistake.

Anyway...

Jim Williams

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 11:29:56 AM »

And they banned me!!!

Shoot the messenger, not the message.

These guys may have a future career in politics...

Fletcher

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 09:54:05 AM »

This is one of those times I wish we had a "like" button... I would have clicked it for Jim's response!!   :o
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 23 queries.