R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best spectrum analyzer?  (Read 3509 times)

dawgman

Best spectrum analyzer?
« on: February 28, 2014, 10:38:28 AM »

Please try to resist the urge to smoke me here for this post. I'm a home studio amateur, and suffer from what no doubt many hsa's deal with, that being inaccurate monitors. (Mine happen to be KRK Rokit-8's, btw.) The problem generally manifests itself in the form of overly abundant low-end. My room is fairly well treated with bass traps and auralex, with carpet/foam on the floor (room over garage). Despite this, bass response always has me chasing my tail.

Perhaps a quality spectrum analyzer as a plugin on my master fader? Any recommendations? Blue Cat FreqAnalyst? Metric Halo Spectrafoo?

Thanks.

Jim Williams

Re: Best spectrum analyzer?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 10:59:04 AM »

Without the deep level of knowledge required to accurately analyze a room response, you may be in for a long ride.

Rent a Tef system with an operator and get it right the first time.

mbrebes

• Real Full Name: Michael Brebes
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 12:22:00 PM »

This is a good place to start:
http://www.roomeqwizard.com

DarinK

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 12:30:43 PM »

I don't think the OP is asking about analyzing his room, just about using a spectrum analyzer on the master buss to make sure his mixes aren't going wild in the lowest frequencies.

dawgman

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 01:50:41 PM »

Thanks DarinK, that's precisely what I was asking...but thanks for the other replies, too  ;)

I'm way beyond trying to treat my room anymore than it already is. It's the room I have, so be it. And since the room makes me not trust my monitors 100%, I thought a little software assist might be in order.

So, any good ones I should consider?

Jim Williams

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 10:40:57 AM »

Klark-technique made a nice 31 band real time spectrum analyzer back in the 1980's. I used to use one to spot check the spectral balance on mixes.

You should be able to find a used one for pretty cheap. It's analog so it doesn't need conversion.

Jerome Malsack

• Real Full Name: Jerome Malsack
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 07:26:19 PM »

True Audio RTA. 

https://www.trueaudio.com/

At the other side you might want to take your system outside and do a review and see what it is like with out the room interactions.  Measure the response at your distance from speakers in your room. 

Look into the room ratio's  on real traps. 

http://realtraps.com/art_studio.htm

You can use these tools to make the room more friendly to mixing.  This is more important than to use a tool like RTA to watch and monitor signal levels. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 24 queries.