R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: M7 Capsule Dimensions  (Read 3194 times)

olsenaudio

• Real Full Name: Seth Olsen
M7 Capsule Dimensions
« on: January 22, 2014, 02:28:48 PM »

Hi everyone,

I have been working with a few very talented people with CNC machinery and we are wanting to machine up a run of M7 capsules, however since I do not have an original,   I am clueless on hole depth and width of the hole pattern on each side.  There really just isnt any place to start either unless I find an original without the diagrahm or, which I am hoping to do, find a few people who may know this already.

I could also do a K47 style but on an M7 backplate as K47 is more accessible.

Thanks guys and any help would be much appreciated!

Seth

Kai

Re: M7 Capsule Dimensions
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 03:20:01 PM »

Quite often Gefell mic's do appear on Ebay.
They use M7's made on the original machinery,
said to have original specs.

Regards
Kai

klaus

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 03:26:18 PM »

(My reply was sent a second after Kai's)

Hello Seth,
What strikes me as unusual, to put it gently, is that you have the intention to copy a sophisticated, popular capsule, which is already copied by half a dozen manufacturers, and is in development by another had a dozen, or more, but you do not seem to want to invest time and money in a few samples, all of which you can find with a bit of energy and money- let's say, a Neumann-Berlin version, a Thiersch PVC, a Telefunken USA Mylar, a Flea, etc.?

I applaud your desire to deliver what may one day become the ultimate copy of them all; but wouldn't provision of  a few samples you could measure, feel and observe, up close, with your own eyes, be the very minimum R+D effort into a reverse-engineered or otherwise "interpreted" M7? It sure is an essential aspect if you ever wish to get there.

Best of luck!
KH
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

olsenaudio

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 03:16:52 PM »

Thank you for your rsponses.

Klaus, I do agree with you and I was a bit vague. I will explain some more.

I do have a few samples of M7s however none are the original, so I have no way to compare them and as this is not a commercial venture here, just some guys who like mics and music, spending a lot on an original is not what we are wanting to do.  However, it may pay a price as few people probably know what I am asking (except maybe Klaus H?) but if you never ask you will never know.

I do have hole depth of the blind holes to be about 4mm with 2 hole width sizes, possibly .6 - .8mm and larger holes possibly 1.3mm but this was looking at a picture.

Any who, thanks for the input and any assistance to potencially helpful information would be of great appreciation.

By the way Klaus, you have great grammar.

Cheers,
Seth

klaus

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 04:05:41 PM »

By the way Klaus, you have great grammar.

And I thought I had great hair!

You can conveniently use any MG M7 backplate (lots of them out there- Mylar of PVC does not matter- they use the same metal work for both). You can also use one of Thiersch's capsules-mylar or PVC- whose backplates are also very close to the original.

The secret sauce is not that part of the capsule, but the material, manufacturing, aging and assembly of the diaphragms, as recent developments in various Neumann and MG capsule types have shown.

Therefore, I would probably spend a ratio of time of 10:1 between diaphragm and backplate development, if I were you.
Let us all know once you have something to test!
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

olsenaudio

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 04:19:44 PM »

Cheers Klaus.

Let us all know once you have something to test!
I thought of this the other day.  Once we a good specimen we'll send it on over for a review.  Hopefully this year... ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 24 queries.