R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Budget studio monitors  (Read 8328 times)

amc

• Real Full Name: Antonio March
Budget studio monitors
« on: January 07, 2014, 10:52:45 AM »

I would like to get a pair of budget studio monitors for mixing midi multitrack songs using REAPER. I am currently doing that with headphones, with impredictable results when going to a real PA

I was ready to get a pair of Tannoy Reveal 601A (side by side to Adam F5 this lacked punch), but.... Tannoy is announcing a new series this January 2014, made of 4", 5", 8" , but not 6" or 6,5".

It this is true, I wonder why some manufacturers avoid the 6" in their product range

I would also like to know if smaller (and cheaper) sizes (3", 4") can deliver realistic bass (for pop and rock, but also for contrabassoon and double bass in orchestral compositions). The hype for big woofers in monitors and PA makes me confused and don't want to invest in unnecessary gear.

I mix in a 100 m2 basement, neafields will be 1 m away from back wall, the other 3 walls being at 3m, 4m, 8m. Mainly pop-rock, quite often with orchestral strings (cellos and double basses filling the low end)

I have some other brands in mind (Prodipe, Presonus, Neusonik), all of them impossible to test side by side with other brands in Barcelona.

I would like to get some opinions from experts. Thanks

Fletcher

Re: Budget studio monitors
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 10:13:31 AM »

I recently got a pair of KEF "LS50"s which are supposed to be "home HiFi" speakers... but have been translating wonderfully and are VERY reasonably priced.

You might want to look into them if you have the time.

Peace
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

amc

• Real Full Name: Antonio March
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 03:53:29 PM »

thanks

I think it will be not easy to find those KEF in Spain, but I checked the price, seems to be 1400 USD / pair, who is far beyond my possibilities. I should stick to a brand having technical service in my country.

Fletcher

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 09:04:12 AM »

I believe KEF are made in the UK... but I understand the problem.  Perhaps a small pair of Focal's [made in the south of France] will work for you... or perhaps there is something out of the RCF factory [Italy] that might fit your requirements.

Best of luck with the search.

Peace
CN Fletcher

If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Dinogi

• Real Full Name: Dean Giamette
  • Wow! A third star! I'll try to be worthy of it.
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 05:24:42 AM »

If your budget is really limited, you will find that most of the serious monitors available will be out of reach. I certainly feel your pain as I am in the same position. Fletcher had mentioned Focal as a possibility but they are also a rather expensive item. However, the folks at Focal make the Focal Spirit Professional headphones that are supposedly voiced to emulate the sound of their speakers. At $349 or 257.817 EUR  they certainly fall into the affordable range.  Although it has been often said that mixing on headphones is unreliable, if you're doing it anyway you might look into a pair. They may work better for you than a set of inferior speakers. If not, you still have a nice set of cans to use. I have owned mine for several months and can honestly say that they are unlike any of the other headphones I own ie Sennheizer, Shure, Sony, Beyer, and Ultrasone. I use them to mix TV sound and they have translated quite well to the real world. I have found them to be extremely neutral and detailed. As Fletcher always says, YMMV....Dean
I'd trade everything I own now for a good sounding room and a bucket of 57's.

jerryrogars

• Real Full Name: Jerry Rogars
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 02:35:26 AM »

It seems like you need or want to purchase pair of budget studio Monitors. Well for this I have a very simple solution and an ideal destination to purchase. You must visit Amazon because it's a top E-commerce place. You might be get there great deal for monitors.

Limonatus

• Real Full Name: Frank Limonatus Carrozzo
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 02:20:32 PM »

In my career ive learn that if u have monitor in a perfect and designed control room u'll have great results....when im in my home studio and so not a professional studio with a perfect c.room sound i like and is better in my opinion to mix with headphones... so unless you have a room treated you would use headphone like sony mdr7506 the ''standard '' studio headphones
Fc

Nobtwiddler

• R/E/P Forums
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 01:11:43 PM »

Fletcher,
           Funny enough, I've been looking for a new set of Concentric speakers for mixing for quite a while.
Been interested in the KEF's after reading a few reviews in the audiophile mags.
What's your take?
For around $1500 I don't think there's anything in the same league, or so the reviews say?
Love to hear real world experience with them, as there is no dealer close by.

Fletcher

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 09:12:16 AM »

Well Paul -- seeing as I'm living practically down the street from you in Suffern... why don't you give me a shout and i'll loan them to you for a bit.  If nothing else, its been a couple of years since we've been able to hang so we could catch up a bit.

Peace
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

Nobtwiddler

• R/E/P Forums
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 01:12:26 PM »

Now you're talking....!

remohead

• Real Full Name: Chris Smith
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 06:13:45 AM »

i've gotta be honest, I love my Tannoy Reveals as budget monitors go.

Remo.
http://www.thedenstudios.com
http://www.chris-drums.com

Nobtwiddler

• R/E/P Forums
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 10:27:21 AM »

I've owned Tannoy LGM-10, LGM-12, DMT-15, DMT-215, PBM-6.5's, PBM-8's, and the NFM-8's...

Got a love hate relationship with them.
I've sold all of them.

Fletcher

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 11:12:56 AM »

Yeah... I've found a similar thing with Tannoy monitors -- I love to hate them.  I once found myself working in a joint that had them in the front wall... put a piece of blck gaff tape over the "T" and stayed on the near fields the entire time I was working [they were nice for "band" and "record weasel" playbacks... sucked goats for getting work done.

As always... YMMV.

Peace
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

headstack

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 10:04:35 PM »

Fletcher,
Just had a look at the KEF site, and this monitor looks very exciting.

What are you driving yours with?

How would you describe the soundstage in comparison to something like the LGM 12 or 15?

Thanks,

John

Fletcher

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2014, 08:20:32 AM »

Driving them with a McIntosh 2205 I had lying around... they seem to like it quite a bit.

Peace
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.