R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: KM54 capsule replacement  (Read 2975 times)

River

KM54 capsule replacement
« on: December 13, 2013, 01:09:56 PM »

I'm saddened to report that we have a KM54 that has a torn diaphragm. 

It's my understanding, at least as of a couple months ago, that there are no options for a replacement.  I seriously doubt that there is anyone reskinning nickel capsules and if there is.

So, aside from having just a dead KM54, what options do I have?  I've heard that people have replaced them with KM84 capsules.  Clearly this would be a less desirable option, but how hard is is to do that?  Does Neumann perform that service?

Thanks guys,

Tim

soapfoot

• brad allen williams
Re: KM54 capsule replacement
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 04:20:59 PM »

Doesn't Thiersch still do nickel diaphragms?

klaus

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 08:07:46 PM »

Yes,
Thiersch is your only address for getting genuine nickel diaphragms. Many of the ones I have had here that he did are not bad at all. After all, he was in charge of nickel diaphragms at Gefell before he went independent.

And, considering the alternative-finding a KM64 intermediary collar (which contains electronic components isolating the KM84 diaphragm from ground, so you can screw it on to a KM54 without shorting it), Thiersch's solution is preferable.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

panman

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 08:38:52 AM »

And, considering the alternative-finding a KM64 intermediary collar (which contains electronic components isolating the KM84 diaphragm from ground, so you can screw it on to a KM54 without shorting it), Thiersch's solution is preferable.

I can agree to that, though I don`t have any experience with Thiersch`s reskinning. But I have done testing with km54/kk64 and it definitely is not the way to go. Km54 loses the "magic" with kk64 and only gets it back with a kk54. I simply suspect, that the km54 electronics and the Bv-13 do not match. However, I have a Jfet-converted km54(something like Decca) with kk64, where I replaced the Bv-13 with a Bv-107 and I like the results. No proof, because I haven`t excluded the electronics on my tests. Km84 has a Bv-107 too, and seems to fit well with that capsule.
Esa Tervala
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 22 queries.