R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Studer A800 Power Issues  (Read 4710 times)

Robomatic50

• Real Full Name: Rob Deacon
Studer A800 Power Issues
« on: November 09, 2013, 03:36:14 PM »

Hello Folks,

I was hoping somebody could shed some light on my issue. My studer A800 will work for an hour or so than suddenly have what looks like intermittent power issues. The red timer goes on off erratically, flashing stop light etc. then the whole issue goes away and the machine works fine for a while. Any Ideas? It looks to me like it just the transport doing this. Transport power supply? Regulator cards?

Thanks,

Rob

Robomatic50

Re: Studer A800 Power Issues
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 06:12:30 PM »

Hi Folks. I know there are probably many things that could cause this but if anybody has any ideas on a few areas to check I would appreciate any assistance. I can get the ball rolling then. Just a note that the machine does this with or without the remote control hooked up.

Thanks!

Rob

guy_4

• Real Full Name: Guy FOUCHER
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 10:56:53 AM »

Hi Rob,
You have to replace all the filtering caps in the power supplies.
They are too old now. empty.
I experienced it a long time ago.
It worked great after replacement.
Best,
Guy

Robomatic50

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 11:42:05 AM »

Thanks Guy. I was suspecting those caps as well. You are the second person to mention that those may be the issue. I took a look in the capstan power supply (small supply in the rear right of the machine) 2 X 10000uf 40volt and 1 X 4700uf 40 volt. The caps are studded thread which are difficult to find. I did however find similar ones at mouser. They are by Kemet. The issue is that the 10000uf caps are to long to fit in the supply. I think the 4700uf will just barely fit. Do you know if there any other studded thread caps with a shorter size that will work? If not does anybody have another solution? What about going with the holding bracket style? I'd have to drill holes in the mounting plate inside the supplies to make that work. The only thing is I noticed that there is a isolation rubber washer on the original cap lugs where it mounts to the plate. Do the body of the caps have to be isolated from the plate (chassis) or would I be ok going with these mounting brackets? 

Rob 

radardoug

• Real Full Name: Doug Jane
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 01:45:17 PM »

Replace with anything that will fit. You should isolate both terminals from ground, all electrical connections should be through the attached wires.

Robomatic50

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 02:57:48 PM »

Hi Folks,
   Just a follow up here. I did find the studded threaded caps that I needed. The only difference was is that they were only available in screw terminal. The originals are solder terminal. I put connectors on all the original wires and with a little wire path re routing was able to get the job done. The machine is working correctly now with no further power issues. I highly suggest if anybody has an A800 and the supply caps have not been replaced from the originals- Do Them ASAP! What a difference. The next job will be the audio supply caps. I haven't looked in those yet (3 supplies) but I'm assuming they will be similar. Probably 10,000uf's

Thanks for everybody's input! It was a great help!

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 18 queries.