R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Original AKG C12 Transformers: Version History  (Read 17059 times)

Ron McCaskill

• Real Full Name: Ron McCaskill
Re: Original AKG C12 Transformers: Version History
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 02:15:04 PM »

Hi all,
The purpose of the attenuator pictured in post #7  is the standard BBC 14dB attenuator (2x 470R in series, and 2x 560 in parallel in an "O" pad  configuration) which was fitted to BBC C12's to bring it's acoustic sensitivity down to match the 4038 mic. It also builds-out the output impedance to approximately 300 Ohms.
Regards, Ron.

rodabod

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2014, 08:02:59 PM »

Ron, you are 100% correct. I didn't realise that it was fitted to match the level of the 4038!
Roddy Bell

J.J. Blair

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2014, 08:58:50 AM »

Which transformer is this?

klaus

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2014, 10:48:10 PM »

Hello J.J.,
The 3044 Henry transformer is a close relative of the widely used Henry 2148 model of the time, but with a different output impedance.

Greetings to Mr. Selmer
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

aremos

• Real Full Name: Ariel Remos
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2015, 11:18:07 AM »

T14/1 have been the output transformers of Telefunken ELA M251 and ELA M250 from day one.
I once installed an original T14 in an ELA M, and the result was sluggish and unexciting, tipping the balance towards "too dark".

Why mess with magic?

Klaus,
When you state "an original T14" are you referring to the Hiller? And that the Haufe works better?

klaus

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2015, 02:54:41 PM »

I am a bit confused about the connection between your citation of my post* and your question.

AKG used several transformer types and manufacturers for its large diaphragm tube mic transformers over the years, and each is of course "original" for that type of mic. But I found that some types do not readily interchange with others in AKG mics (hence your cited passage of my earlier post):
Despite its technical shortcomings the T14/1, for example, is the only transformer which retains a balanced frequency response and exciting timbre in AKG's ELA M mics. Likewise, an old Henry version in a late model C12 is not a symbiotic match either, due to the different capsule versions used.

* I just re-edited the wording of that old post because a whole line of text had been deleted in a previous edit. But the original message of that post remains the same: the less than ideal transformer (T14/1) is the original and only one I would recommend to use in the ELA M250/251 in order to retain the mic's spectacular sound.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.