R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Low output from a U47 fet?  (Read 3704 times)

Graemespicer

• Real Full Name: Graeme Spicer
Low output from a U47 fet?
« on: February 09, 2015, 11:32:40 AM »

I recently purchased one of the reissue Neumann U47 fet mics. One of the first things I've noticed is that the U47 requires more than 20dB more gain than my U87ai. Reading the Neumann specs I understand that the 47 fet is less sensitive, but I wasn't expecting a 20dB difference.

I'm running the mic into a UAudio Apollo with the API Unison channel strip plugin. I need to add so much gain at the input that I'm getting more of the API "color" than I would ideally like - I'd like a cleaner sound to allow the U47 fet's characteristics to shine. I've purchased a FetHead Phantom to see if that solves the low gain problem (on its way by post), but I'm starting to wonder if perhaps my mic is off-spec.

Klaus, could you offer any advice?

klaus

Re: Low output from a U47 fet?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 12:55:15 PM »

When I tested a production sample of the reissue against an original U47fet, the output of both mics was similar.
I would welcome a comparison of the two mics' specifications to support your contention that the reissue has less output than the original.
I would not know how that could be possible, because the circuitry is 100% identical (Uwe, former technical director of Neumann/USAS could chime in here). There should be roughly a 10dB output difference between the extremely hot U87Ai and the U47fet whose output was roughly equivalent to the old style U87. But another 10dB of attenuation?

I will investigate further.

P.S.: Please don't cross-post in the future- see Ground Rules: http://repforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,989.0.html
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

soapfoot

• brad allen williams
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 01:32:11 PM »

Please forgive the obvious here, but I must ask--

Is the OP aware that the U47 FET has two separate attenuators (pads) on the mic itself-- one -10dB in the obvious position (S1 on the schematic), and the -6dB transformer tap switch on the bottom housing near the XLR connector (S3 on the schematic)?

Have we verified that BOTH of these are in the non-attenuating position?

klaus

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 04:09:54 PM »

Thanks, you make a great point.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

Uwe

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 04:14:15 PM »

Rather than violating the policy against cross posting, please follow my reply to this same inquiry at the Neumann forum at:
http://www.neumann.com/forums/view.php?site=neumann&bn=neumann_mictec&key=1423516220

klaus

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 04:40:20 PM »

Thanks, Uwe.
At least the OP can take comfort from similar answers in both forums that it's either his switch settings (likely) or a defective new mic (unheard of, given Neumann's quality control).
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

Graemespicer

• Real Full Name: Graeme Spicer
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 04:49:14 PM »

Thanks to all!

Yes, I have toggled both of the attenuation switches back and forth to make sure they were disengaged.

As per Klaus' and Uwe's direction, I'll continue the thread on the Neumann forum on their website.

I sincerely appreciate your help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.