R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: U47 too shiny  (Read 6893 times)

delcosmos

U47 too shiny
« on: September 29, 2013, 12:50:49 PM »

Hello Klaus,

There's a U47 on ebay and to me that microphone looks refinished, its to shiny, also the basket looks suspicious too.

May I have your opinion?

Thank you.

klaus

Re: U47 too shiny
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 01:00:44 PM »

At minimum, this mic's housing parts were refinished. O n the other extreme end of the scale, this might not even be a Neumann U47. Only seeing what's hidden inside the housing and head basket will give a definite answer which of the two.

I would not make a move until you can open the hood and take peek.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

delcosmos

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 01:35:41 PM »

At minimum, this mic's housing parts were refinished. O n the other extreme end of the scale, this might not even be a Neumann U47. Only seeing what's hidden inside the housing and head basket will give a definite answer which of the two.

I would not make a move until you can open the hood and take peek.

This are the pictures of the auction of this mic.

klaus

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 03:53:16 PM »

The actual auction page may give more details and also clues how much on this mic was changed from its original state (looks like quite a bit). I could not find the eBay auction where this mic is featured. Please provide.
Thanks.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

delcosmos

klaus

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 12:16:48 AM »

I would not describe this mic as being in original condition by a long shot.
In a vintage mic, a mark-up above its usable (intrinsic) value is derived from how close to original its components and cosmetics are. ('Original' in this context means: the exact way the mic and all its components left the factory.) This added value is established regardless whether originality diminishes or enhances the mic's sound (usually, it's the latter).

When a mic up for sale has been manipulated as much as this one has, it should be self-evident to disclose what features deviate from those found on an original U47. If the seller does not know what the level of originality of his mic is, he should not mention its originality as prominently as he did in the auction description. "Some components were replaced" would be a more ethical way to handle this.

In this case, the seller did not disclose that housing parts have been inexpertly refinished and/or replaced, and original circuit components, mechanical construction elements, wiring, and hardware are missing, or have been replaced with non-Neumann aftermarket items.

No user, let alone collector, would value such mic similarly to one in original condition, and sooner or later the reduction in value will be reflected by the market.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

Jim Williams

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 11:49:32 AM »

If one invests in it only as a tool, not as a collectable, it might still sound pretty good. The price should reflect that.

I see all the resistors are Asian 1/4 watt metal film types, those cost about 3 cents each. I would figure a tool of this value would be intitled to higher quality resistors if one is going to the effort to replace all of them.

If you want to dull the finish, a fine bead blasting would do a good job. It will also take off any paint.

Kai

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 06:50:16 AM »

Here's a bigger picture where I enhanced the details.
This thing does not look very original to me at all.
Maybe just some parts.

What about the Neumann S. No.?
Shouldn't it be visible on the bottom?

Kai

soapfoot

• brad allen williams
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 09:15:50 AM »

Looks like a real VF-14M and a real M7 capsule, but nothing else looks right to me... I can't see the transformer really, but from what I can see it doesn't really look like an original BV N˚8. I'm not as trained as Klaus, but having been inside a couple of real U47s, I suspect this is someone's project made from a real M7 and VF14, with a Neumann badge stuck on.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 02:39:02 PM »

I am fairly certain that this microphone never saw the inside of a Neumann factory.  The brown boards the resistors are on are incorrect, and the three vertical stanchions are not correct.  The transformer is unoriginal, and the lack of original PSU adds to my suspicions.

Jim Williams

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 03:21:14 PM »

2600 Euros so far...

I'd pass.

klaus

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 03:25:53 PM »

I have sent the seller a message with a link to this thread. That gives him a chance- if he so chooses- to still disclose what is known to be not authentic on this mic before it's too late.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 24 queries.