R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Distressor... to good for the average Joe  (Read 2756 times)

Dinogi

• Real Full Name: Dean Giamette
  • Wow! A third star! I'll try to be worthy of it.
Distressor... to good for the average Joe
« on: September 07, 2013, 08:13:16 AM »

Always loved the idea behind the Distressor in that it can emulate the sound of many compressors. I have gassed to own one since they first came out. If just for the learning experience of experimenting with different compression techniques. I do like to track with a bit of compression, especially for vocals. On a one to ten scale, the rest of my equipment would be somewhere around the 4-6 range. Not top tier, but probably more than the average home recordist would have. I was just wondering if picking up a used EL8 would be a good idea or just too esoteric for a non-commercial, personal use home recording setup.
I'd trade everything I own now for a good sounding room and a bucket of 57's.

Jim Williams

Re: Distressor... to good for the average Joe
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 11:49:39 AM »

IME it's a glorified dirt box. Plenty of diode strings inside to offer further "harmonic excitment".

If you want a comp/limiter with precise adjustments, properly marked time contraints, a 50/1 ratio capability and the widest attack/release adjustment range in the biz, look no further than a used Aphex 651 for about two hundred bucks.

It's also not a harmonic generator, it does .002% THD and 200k hz bandwidth. It does wrap around a difficult time contraint like butter.

Fletcher

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 09:55:21 PM »

I love Jim... and in some ways, he's kinda right [overly dramatic about it, but he has his reasons for that].

An EL-8 is a beautiful machine in many, many ways.  Its really a necessary tool to have in the arsenal, much like a "claw hammer" is a necessary tool for a carpenter.  That said -- do not expect the EL-8 to "sound" like anything but an EL-8.  What it can do is kind of emulate the action of other pieces of equipment [1176's, LA-2A's, etc.] but in no way will it sound like the actual unit.

I hope this is of some assistance.

Peace
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Dinogi

• Real Full Name: Dean Giamette
  • Wow! A third star! I'll try to be worthy of it.
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 06:57:57 PM »

Thanks guys. Mr Williams also posted his suggestion to me over on another forum where I asked the same question. Because the two of you always have different ways of looking at things, I always feel like I'm getting good, honest, and balanced advice. Although I've been doing this for a long time, I will never exist in the rarefied air that you two gentlemen do. I truly appreciate that you both take the time to answer my questions. Eleven to twelve hundred dollars isn't a huge amount to spend, especially for a serious professional tool. But for a home recordest like myself, it is an amount that needs to be considered carefully. As much as I would like to own a Distressor, I'm beginning to feel like there are probably a few other things that would be more practical for someone who is at the level that I work at. When you find something cool while perusing the used equipment ads on places like Craigslist or Guitar Center, it's very easy to be tempted to into making a rash decision that may not be in ones own best interest. I should really take a long look at the mishmash of equipment I already have and decide what the real weak link is with my setup, and what I can add to help me grow in my recording endeavors. As this post has become unnecessarily longwinded, I won't list my gear here. It would be fun to send you both the list so that you could get a better idea of where I'm at and perhaps suggest where I should focus my future acquisitions, but that's not something I would do without your approval. 
Very Respectfully, Dean
I'd trade everything I own now for a good sounding room and a bucket of 57's.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.