R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Any Crookwood Users Here?  (Read 8663 times)

djwaudio

• Real Full Name: Dana J White
Any Crookwood Users Here?
« on: September 06, 2013, 04:21:02 PM »

Looking at the Crookwood consoles and thinking about their converters as well.  Are you using these?
Respectfully submitted,

Dana J White
Specialized Mastering
www.specializedmastering.com

DOMC

• Real Full Name: Dominic McGlinn
  • DOMC Mastering
Re: Any Crookwood Users Here?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 04:29:19 PM »

Don't have Crispin's convertors but do have the console. Changed my world when I got it. I am about to upgrade soon to the m/s and gain trim option. My suggestion grab one and get all the bells and whistles.
Domc

Mastering Engineer
Dominic McGlinn B.Mus.T. (Hons)

Margate, QLD
+61421961641

www.domc.com.au
[email protected]

djwaudio

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 06:28:32 PM »

Right on, I'm definitely thinking about the gains & MS module.  Still thinking about whether I want to have the digital routing option, as I have a ZSys currently.

Anyone else running the AD/DAs?
Respectfully submitted,

Dana J White
Specialized Mastering

Hermetech Mastering

• Real Full Name: Gregg Janman
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 06:57:39 AM »

I have a custom modified C1 monitor controller, with 2 x DAC, 1 x ADC, and the 2U VU meters. It's basically as small a footprint as you could go with a Crookwood system, and still have it do everything you need for mastering. 1U rack brain, 1 control unit. Sounds great, can hear anything (four digital and four analogue sources) volume matched to within a quarter dB. Four destinations (I only use main monitors and headphones, headphone amp sounds great). Any of the sources can be routed to the transfer/outboard chain. Only thing missing from the full console is individual inserts, which I know would be a deal breaker for some, but with such a small chain here it hasn't bothered me yet.

I may well upgrade to full console at some stage, with the gain trim/MS, and perhaps even the elliptical EQ. I love mine, the converters a real step up from the Echo stuff I was using before (as you'd expect). Crispin will work hard with you to provide exactly what you require.

jdg

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 08:40:07 AM »

i have a 7 insert M1 with two of his DACs (use lavry AD) with the trimmer M/S pack

its the best thing in my studio. i love it.

dont forget to budget for the 10+ dsub snakes you're going to need

also, tech support if something fails could mean expensive downtime
John McCaig
-the caption captain

djwaudio

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 01:06:29 PM »

10+ dsub snakes?! Whoa, I'll have to look into that...

I was thinking about the 7 insert system with gains as well.
Respectfully submitted,

Dana J White
Specialized Mastering

jdg

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 01:37:03 PM »

LOTS OF WIRES EVERYWHERE
John McCaig
-the caption captain

djwaudio

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 04:25:57 PM »

I just asked Crispin for the installation guide.  I'm having a hard time imagining why there would be so much wire.  I'm guessing so each piece of gear can be routed to just about anywhere, there would need to be nodes to split the signal.
Respectfully submitted,

Dana J White
Specialized Mastering

djwaudio

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 04:27:15 PM »

John, I'm curious why you passed on the AD and use the Lavry?  Did you prefer the sound of the Lavry or was it because you already had it, etc?
Respectfully submitted,

Dana J White
Specialized Mastering

PBM

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 05:02:58 PM »

Looking at the Crookwood consoles and thinking about their converters as well.  Are you using these?

I've had a Crookwood console/router for a few years now (the model names have changed - this is 16 digi router and 3 analogue inserts). Works like a charm and makes life a lot easier. The converters are unsung because you have to have the kit surrounding it, but they are top-notch - I preferred them to Benchmark by quite a way and have only recently stopped using them as we now have the Forssell MADA-2a.

cheers,

Eric
Philosophers Barn Mastering
www.phibarnmastering.co.uk

jdg

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 12:23:04 AM »

had the lavry black, knew it, loved it, clipped it...
compared the crookwood dacs to the ULN8 (when i was a beta tester) and they were as good or better. got off the MH train and never looked back.

i've never heard the ADC, im sure its fine. the ability to swap 3 different DACs/ADCs into any order is pretty stelar for sure. i had a mytek ADC i used like this for awhile in conjunction with the lavry
John McCaig
-the caption captain

djwaudio

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 02:45:28 PM »

I'm running a Weiss DAC1 Mk2 and a Prism Orpheus (Chain A/D & Monitoring DAC) now.  While the sound is hard to beat on those units, it would be nice to have the flexibility in how the CW DACs handle monitoring and AB level matches, etc.

Eric, are you finding that the MADA is doing it more for you than the inboard converters in the sound deptartment?
Respectfully submitted,

Dana J White
Specialized Mastering

PBM

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 06:12:00 AM »

I'm running a Weiss DAC1 Mk2 and a Prism Orpheus (Chain A/D & Monitoring DAC) now.  While the sound is hard to beat on those units, it would be nice to have the flexibility in how the CW DACs handle monitoring and AB level matches, etc.

Eric, are you finding that the MADA is doing it more for you than the inboard converters in the sound deptartment?

Actually I think I was talking nonsense (it was late) ... We used to use dCS da/ad for the converters for the analogue chain, and used the inboard C/W dac as the monitoring dac. We then bought the MADA-2 to bracket the analogue chain and then moved the dCS to the monitoring role.

I love the dCS converters, especially for classical and jazz, but MADA-2 in the chain seems to do good things for rock (if I have a week of classical or jazz, I swap back). With the dCS spare it was then a very close call for the monitoring dac, but the dCS (which I recently upgraded with a new analogue board) slightly bettered the C/W as it seemed to have a more open mid - which is where I like to hear exactly what is going on. Some people don't rate the dCS anymore, but I hear what I hear; there's no doubt though that the C/W is a great converter and superb value. I speak only of the dac, I never heard the a/d. I think you'll find Glenn Meadows uses both - and is a big fan.

Cheers,

Eric
Philosophers Barn Mastering
www.phibarnmastering.co.uk

djwaudio

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 05:30:40 PM »

LOTS OF WIRES EVERYWHERE

You're not kidding, I just had a gander at the installation guide and there's something like 80 connections to be made on the system I was looking at.  :-/
Respectfully submitted,

Dana J White
Specialized Mastering

Hermetech Mastering

• Real Full Name: Gregg Janman
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 05:21:47 AM »

The setting up takes a day or two, but once it's up and running the daily convenience/speed up of workflow is well worth it!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 24 queries.