R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CK-12 capsule condition & pix  (Read 3524 times)

aremos

• Real Full Name: Ariel Remos
CK-12 capsule condition & pix
« on: September 06, 2013, 12:52:23 AM »

Klaus (or anyone else, of course), what can you tell from these pictures about the CK-12 condition in this 414EB that someone has offered to sell me?

Thanks,
Ariel

klaus

Re: CK-12 capsule condition & pix
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 03:19:22 AM »

From the pictures, neither I, nor, I am afraid, anyone else can tell you in what functional condition this (I assume original-diaphragmed?) CK12 is. 

But you can make a function test yourself: keep the two screens off the two capsule, plug the mic in, set it to figure eight, blow hard on both diaphragms (first one, then the other) as you observe what the skins are doing when you stop blowing: Does the diaphragm come right back to its resting position? Or does it stay stuck against the backplate for more than a second or two? If that is hard to see, take a strong flashlight to illuminate the gold sputtering during this process, for a better view.

If both diaphragms resist getting sucked against the backplate (it's called electrostatic attraction), you have a healthy capsule. If even one side gets stuck, I would not buy full price for such mic, as original well-working CK12s have  become very expensive very fast as of late.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Jim Williams

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 11:23:26 AM »

You better use a cleaner source of air than your breath, unless you want to add more spitum to the capsule surface.

klaus

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 12:47:09 PM »

Blowing focussed breath, with your mouth is fine. Its strength can easily be adjusted to the desired level that yields the diaphragm response. And it's done a thousand times during a vocal session, anyway. I was not referring to blowing major spit bubbles.

To make the test even less "spittly" with this method, you can do a few blows into thin air before you aim towards the diaphragm. That ensures the least amount of spittle exposure possible.

If you have cans of compressed air, like Jim probably has, you need to be very careful with the distance between nozzle and diaphragm: start out very far away and gradually decrease the distance until you can see the effect of the diaphragm getting pressed against the backplate (the backplate's outline should now be visible). As soon as you are there, turn the air off.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

aremos

• Real Full Name: Ariel Remos
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 05:06:57 PM »

There's a way of blowing w/o, or rather controlling, saliva from coming out.

But good to always be aware of that (of spit contaminating the capsule) ALWAYS!

Jim Williams

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 11:57:35 AM »

There's a way of blowing w/o, or rather controlling, saliva from coming out.

Yes, use a fine particle paper filter in front of your mouth. There are thousands of tiny water droplets in your breath, just because the naked eye can't see them doesn't mean they are not there. Breath on a mirror for proof. I can't think of a better way to contaminate a capsule surface than to blow on one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 22 queries.