R/E/P > Recording - Engineering & Production

The age old question - which mics?

<< < (2/2)

gsherman:
Just to close down on this one, I have purchased the AKG C414 XLS / ST. So far very happy with them and not too expensive.

Thanks guys for your helpful suggestions and insights.

Gary

saltyjames:
AKG C414 XLS are excellent mics.

blackacre:
Consider a Sanken CMS2. It’s a stereo small diaphragm condenser that is made specifically for orchestral recording and, like all Sanken mics is flat, accurate and has great off axis response. You can also use it as a close mic for stringed instruments for great results.

Timtape:

--- Quote from: gsherman on August 29, 2013, 05:57:20 AM ---Hi - Looking for advice on which stereo set of microphone might best meet my needs.

Having been using Neumann KM184 stereo set I have decided that they just aren't giving me what I'm looking for. They seem to lose a lot of warmth in the lower mids (I hear the live sound and notice the difference on monitored sound and playback). I therefore consider either the DPA 4006 or the Schoeps CMC-62H my best options...
--- End quote ---

The KM184's are world renowned cardioid SDC's. Yes they  gently roll off the lows, at least outside of the proximity effect area. But if you want  flatter response, a little careful EQ can work beautifully. The published data from Neumann makes that easy to achieve. If you want  flat response without EQ you may need to go to omni's and accept the trade off that involves. Best to understand the microphone types, their strengths and weaknesses. Compare apples with apples. No one mic can cover all situations.   

tomeh:
I don't know if you purchased something yet but I can't help but wonder if you have taken a single, moderate multi-pattern mic and recorded with it in Omni, Cardioid, Hyper-Cardioid, figure eight to understand how the pattern effects the tonal balance?

Best regards,

Tom eh

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version