R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ACM 1200 mic. Suggestions for a tech?  (Read 3473 times)

rjd2rjd2

• Real Full Name: Ramble Krohn
ACM 1200 mic. Suggestions for a tech?
« on: July 13, 2013, 02:51:24 PM »

hi folks, i have 3 of these mics, all modded. on the last one, i seem to be overlooking something(it's the 47-style mod/xformer). it's not passing signal properly, although the tube powers up. i am in a phase of life where i'd rather pay someone to solve it, if at all possible.

does anyone have a recommendation of someone who might be able to be hired for this, particularly someone who is familiar with this mod? thanks alot for any leads-rj

Fletcher

Re: ACM 1200 mic. Suggestions for a tech?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 08:05:42 PM »

Unfortunately, I'm unfamiliar with the mod, or for that matter the manufacturer of the microphone.  Do you have schematics?  Do you have any documentation for the microphone?  In what part of the world do you live? 
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

rjd2rjd2

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 01:58:34 PM »

thanks, fletcher. Im in philly. have schems. i even have a 2nd identical mic with the exact same mod done on it that is functioning properly. if i were a littler richer in the patience dept, i'd do a point by point walk thru comparison, but honestly, if i could pay someone an hr or two at a bench rate of ~$75/hr, i'd rather just do that...

Fletcher

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 07:11:00 AM »

One route might be to call some of the larger studios in the Philly area [Sigma Sound and Studio 4 come to mind first] and find out if their tech feels like taking on the job... another route might be to post the query in the "tech" forum on this site.

There are more than a few microphone expert around [why one of the planet's most preeminent mic techs even has a forum on this site!!]... which could also be worth a try [and while I'm quite sure Klaus would hit it out of the park -- unless you want to come up with a rather different, and quite better sounding end result, Klaus would probably be "overkill"].

I hope this is of some assistance.

Peace
CN Fletcher

If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

rjd2rjd2

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 08:07:46 AM »

it is. thanks!

mbrebes

• Real Full Name: Michael Brebes
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 11:51:04 AM »

It looks like a standard Apex 460 style microphone.  I've worked on them before but don't think you want to send it all the way to Los Angeles for repair.

Fletcher

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 05:36:26 PM »

No -- you definitely don't want to send it to LA if you can avoid it.  The good thing is that the 460 is a really easy mic to work on... and the results usually come out pretty good [so if this is really like a 460 then it shouldn't be too expensive to get it finished].

Peace
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

Jim Williams

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 12:45:17 PM »

Don't send the mic to LA.

It will come back speaking another language.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.