R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Studio Signal Flow  (Read 2283 times)

chalupa67

Studio Signal Flow
« on: June 13, 2013, 07:45:30 AM »

HI, I hoping I can get a few ideas on optimal signal flow in my small home studio.
My signal path looks like this now....

mic/line in--pre--Apogee Rosetta 200(digital out to )--Echo Layla 24 computer interface--Cubase.
Then I am assigning my main 2 mix to Analog outs 1 and 2 (of Echo Layla) and running that in to a mixer(so I can control monitor volume w fader) , then to power amp/ monitors.

However, I just replaced old monitors w some Solo 6's and realize my current signal path is a little busy.
I am having a difficult time wrapping my head around the cleanest and most efficient signal flow. I'd like to make the most out of the Apogee in terms of conversion. Im just not sur how to use it to AD at beginning then into Echo then somehoww back in to Apogee(digitally perhaps? though this would entail switching the input on Apogee when switching from INPUT and PLAYBACK) then back out to monitors? Maybe Im trying to get too much out of it? Id like to avoid the DA conversion of Echo if possible.
I assume I also may have to get a monitor controller.
Any ideas?
Thank you,

Thomas
Home Recording Enthusiast

Fletcher

Re: Studio Signal Flow
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 07:51:39 AM »

You can use the Apogee in both directions A/D -- D/A without a struggle... then yeah, you're going to need a monitor controller [I'd suggest you look at the Coleman stuff... things like the Mackie "Big Knob" and the Presonus version of basically the same thing sound like ass IMNSHO].

From your description it seems that all you're using the "mixer" for at the moment is monitor control... which is indeed a bit overkill.

I hope this is of some assistance.

Peace
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

chalupa67

Re: Studio Signal Flow
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 09:29:51 PM »

Thank you!
I was able to get this straightened out.
Works like a charm.
Now for a monitor controller....its frightening not having a convenient
volume control handy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.