R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A-designs HM2 Nail vs. Slate Pro Audio Dragon  (Read 5074 times)

Benno

• Real Full Name: Ben Worsey
A-designs HM2 Nail vs. Slate Pro Audio Dragon
« on: May 22, 2013, 06:28:19 PM »

Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone on here has experience of these two compressors side by side. I'm looking for a comp to use primarily on the drum bus (parallel or otherwise). I have a Focusrite RED3 on the 2-bus usually but comments regarding these two on the mix bus would also be interesting.
I do mainly folk/pop, world, hip hop.

Cheers,
Ben

Fletcher

Re: A-designs HM2 Nail vs. Slate Pro Audio Dragon
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 07:40:53 AM »

They're both good - though the Nail has a fair bit of a learning curve... but once you get through that its a fine product.  The Slate has [at least from my experience] a bit more "aggressive" character to it [which I find to be a good thing], which may or may not be appropriate for what you're doing.

I hope this is of some assistance
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Benno

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 06:39:29 PM »

Ok, thanks. "Agressive" can obviously be good in some situations, as long as you can dial it back too when not needed. I'd love to demo them both side by side but this being Australia, it's not possible (without flying to another city)

Fletcher

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 04:19:13 AM »

I understand the problem but unfortunately don't have a solution.  I would think both units have Australian distribution -- have you checked the manufacturer's websites?  You could be surprised if you do.

Peace
CN Fletcher

If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Benno

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 12:40:35 AM »

Hey Fletcher, yeah they both do. The same distro actually. Unfortunately they are based in Melbourne and I'm in Sydney

Fletcher

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 03:52:46 AM »

In the grans scheme of things... that's not too far away.  Perhaps they can ship you both units, or perhaps you can take a drive with some of your material and run it through both boxes... then print a CD of what you've processed... live with it for a few days and get at least a little closer to making an educated decision.

I hope this is of some assistance

Peace
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

Benno

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 12:30:34 AM »

or perhaps you can take a drive with some of your material and run it through both boxes...

Peace

Hehe, you do realise that it's around a 10 hour drive from Sydney to Melbourne right?  ;D

Fletcher

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 04:04:11 AM »

I've always done that run on a motorcycle... it generally took 12 hours -- but in the scheme of Australia, that's not all that far a distance 8^)  -- and its also not that far a distance if you're hoping to avoid a rather costly error.

That said - while its been a while since I've been in that part of the world -- I do recall being able to get some very inexpensive round trip flights from SYD to MEL.

I reckon in the scheme of things it is probably best to have the vendor ship you both units for evaluation in your studio... and if you have a good enough relationship with that vendor [and can secure the items properly if you're just forming the relationship] then that would indeed be the best route to follow.

Peace
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

Benno

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 04:39:48 AM »

Yeah, you're right. Hitting up the supplier to ship me up both units is definitely the way to go. Thanks!

Fletcher

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 05:20:08 PM »

I hope it goes well for you!!!

Peace
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 22 queries.