R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Neumann M49 Version Do I have ?  (Read 24435 times)

klaus

Re: Which Neumann M49 Version Do I have ?
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2013, 05:54:02 PM »

Try a better picture, please. I cannot comment on a blurry picture.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

electricsky

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2013, 04:46:34 PM »

As you see, this one is not made of metal but made of transparent plastic !
I' m so disapointed to have missed it , i need another early one (in good shape and for a realistic  price )to make a pair but as i had never seen one with this capsule base, i wanted to make sure it was ok , knowing i already had some surprises with the first one !

klaus

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2013, 05:43:29 PM »

Try a better picture, please. I cannot comment on a blurry picture.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

electricsky

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2013, 06:08:29 AM »

Hi Klaus,
Sorry, i'm using an Ipad for a few days and i don't know how to do with it, to take a picture of the screen with it !
I will do it from my computer and see if i can upload the picture in a bigger size but unfortunately , the mic is sold anyway so it's too late for me...

electricsky

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2013, 07:25:24 AM »

here are some bigger pictures !
i wonder if the capsule holder is really original or if it's something done to repair it ?

klaus

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2013, 01:29:15 PM »

You should be glad you missed buying this "M49".
The capsule mount on this mic was probably formed by hand from acrylic or other plastic, to replace a missing or broken original M49 mount (the original one is shown on your very first picture, at the beginning of this thread: a hard rubber column buttressed on each end by a vulcanized nickel-plated, treaded brass cap; it's the only kind of capsule mounting base Neumann ever used on any M49).

Besides this amateur contribution, the mic contains many after-market components, including the capsule, which looks like an MG Mylar job.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

electricsky

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2013, 04:01:37 PM »

Thanks very much for your help Klaus, it' s nice from you to take the time to help people ,  to avoid problems, with your knowledge ; i appreciate !
That said, that's exactly what i have been thinking since last night as the  more i was looking at it , the more i was finding it weird compared to the other M49 pictures i saw ! Lol
But as i have bought a pair of pre's from that guy recently, that seemed to be all original and he told me the mic was original as well, so i had no reason to do not believe him.

As i had never seen a m49 capsule holder like that, i prefered to check on this forum to be sure, knowing i already had a few problems with the 1st i bought !!
If i had not had  some problems with the first , i might not have been as careful, searching to confirm that, as the guy seemed so sure of what he was saying !
Once again, i see it' s obviously better to verify and this is getting truer and truer as there are more and more mispresented items for sale on internet/ebay than a few years ago it seems !

Sure, i prefer to know what i buy before i pay and  i also prefer to find one that has not been repaired like that but as mine is an early one (modified to c ) with early transfo, i ' d like to find another early one and this one was having this same early transfo it seems .
But i hate to receive something that is not as specified, especialy for that price , so it' s better i didn't buy it thinking it was all original ! Lol

electricsky

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2013, 04:16:03 PM »

Where you see there is a problem with a seller, it is when you tell him what he's selling is not original , that he tells you he will specify it in the listing and reduce th price accordingly but when you come hack 3 weeks later , the item is still specified the same way , for the same price !

The guy (langloge / ebay ) who sold me the first one, still tries to justify that some M49 have the little metal ring under the grill whereas only M50 has it to hold the top of the capsule( to avoid it moves seeing it's size and weight i guess ) and i sent him a picture to proove it but he refuses to accept the truth !
Also, no way to make him accept an early M49 ,partly modified to c. Version, is not a true  M49C (different transformer, different capsule and still different circuit i believe !) !

J.J. Blair

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2013, 02:33:02 PM »

Wow.  I can't believe that somebody tried to attach at MG plastic mount to the housing like that.  What is wrong with people?

shirk

• Real Full Name: Stephen Shirk
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2013, 03:41:39 PM »

Resurrecting an old thread here as I just purchased an M49 and am trying to establish it's age.  I'd also like to figure out how much work has been done to it over the years. (See pics below)

Based on the switchable 200/50 ohm impedance board by the transformer and the circuit board that sits below the capsule, I'm assuming I have an M49 b/c.  I'm a bit curious about the black paint or whatever it is on the inside of the clear plastic housing below the capsule.  I was discouraged when I first saw that as I expected it to be clear plastic.  I think I can see the tube in there if I shine a flashlight at just the right angle.  I can see the beginning of the word "Made"  as well as an "A" further down the tube.  I was hoping to verify the presence of an AC701(K?) but I realize these pictures are inconclusive.

I'll assume the capsule is a later version (nylon ring) Neumann K49. 

The tuchel multi-pin connector seems to be different than the original design. 

For what it's worth, the mic sounds great! Big bottom, not too bright.  A tad darker than my Telefunken U67...but not in a bad way at all.  So far I really like it.  Only downside is that I'm getting some RF noise from a local FM station here in Chicago.  The cable is a double shielded Champagne cable.  Any suggestion or solving the RF issue? 

You thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated. 

Kindest regards,

Stephen

shirk

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2013, 03:42:55 PM »

More pics

Uwe

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2013, 09:09:19 AM »

The microphone depicted is the M249, as evident by the T3470 connector (better RF-shielding) in place of the T3052 of the original M49. This model was manufactured between 1961 and 1974, and judging by the K49 capsule it looks like from the mid 1960s. BTW, the black coating on the inside of the clear plastic is original for most M249 and M250. Manufacturing date inquiries can be answered with more authority through the corresponding link in the forum of the Neumann website.

klaus

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2013, 12:14:36 PM »

There are so many non-original, non-period-correct parts on this mic, it reminds me of the photo contests I first saw in the German TV guide 'Hör Zu', and which is still popular (People Magazine):

The contest: find the non-original/non-period-correct items on this mic (I counted ten)!

Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

soapfoot

• brad allen williams
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2013, 12:40:50 PM »

For one thing, I spy a Solen "Fast" metallized film capacitor, and a Caddock thick film resistor. Neither of these parts are original or era-correct.

shirk

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2013, 09:21:08 PM »

Thanks for the comments so far.  I'm eager to learn more about my Frankenstein M-249.  Regardless of originality or era-correctness, it sounded really nice this afternoon on a vocal.  I'd be interested to learn more about what components are non-original and what steps might be taken to get original (sounding) replacement components.  Luckily this mic was priced appropriately and can be returned if I decide it's not for me.  But based on the sound I think I'll keep it. 

Thanks for you time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 21 queries.