R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tests and Questions about MFIT Tools  (Read 3166 times)

Alécio Costa - Brazil

• Real Full Name: Alécio T. Costa
Tests and Questions about MFIT Tools
« on: May 17, 2013, 07:41:58 PM »

Hi,

Concerning the Tools provided by the MFIT Bundle:

a) What is the difference between converting to AAC Plus with the MFIT droplet and doing it directly with itunes set at AAC Plus?

b) Sometimes I drag and drop a wave file to the floating window of the MFIT droplet and to the Audio to Wave droplet and it does nothing. BTW I am using OS 10.6.8. I have already reinstalled the package.

c) Using afclip: 0 means Left Channel, 1 means Right Channel and what is 2? Center?

d) Clips and ISPs: I was mastering today a specific pop rock song ( like U2 With or without you) with ceiling at -0.8. afclip ( terminal) provided me 0 clipping and 5 ISPS. Is this something to worry, go back and readjust everything or should it be fine?

Thanks
Alécio Costa Studio
www.aleciocosta.com

BiigNiick

• R/E/P Forums
  • Real Full Name: Nick Landis
Re: Tests and Questions about MFIT Tools
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 01:25:43 PM »

hi aléco,

a - they say the MFiT droplet is most like the actual codec that they use for the iTunes store. . .  i've not noticed a significant difference from the droplet and the iTunes import.  the droplet is automated and quicker than opening itunes, so it is definitely a workflow improvement.

b - i'm not sure what window you're talking about. . .  i keep the droplet script icon on the dock and drop the files there.  no window comes up until it's done. . .

c - afclip i've never seen a 0 in the CHAN column.  i assume 1 is left and 2 is right, but have yet to test it.  maybe 0 is both channels. . .

d - i would turn it down another .1 or .2 and see if that can stop the intersample clips.  some more heavily limited tracks i've had to give a full dB of headroom for the process to come back with no clips.

hope this helps,
 - nick

Alécio Costa - Brazil

• Real Full Name: Alécio T. Costa
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 01:47:36 PM »

Thanks for the reply, Nick!

a) Bob Ollson also mentioned that difference between the results provided by the droplet and the itunes import. SRC conversion I guess.

b) Droplet Window: When I click the droplet alias, it opens a windows with a long text describing the procedure of drag and drop and so.  Simetimes mine does not work at all. Some folks mentiones similar problems at GS.

c)  0, 1, 2: Maybe it is differenly t numbered from the original PDF information?

d) Yes. I had the ceiling set at -0.8. I will check again with ceiling at -0.9. There were just 5 ISPS in one channel.
Alécio Costa Studio
www.aleciocosta.com

djwaudio

• Real Full Name: Dana J White
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 05:15:37 PM »

Does anyone know what the criteria for a track to carry the red mfit label is?
Respectfully submitted,

Dana J White
Specialized Mastering
www.specializedmastering.com

BiigNiick

• R/E/P Forums
  • Real Full Name: Nick Landis
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 12:49:03 AM »

from what i've heard back in artist feedback, it is difficult/impossible for the average indie artist to get in there.  most everything needs to be a record label that deals directly with the iTunes store.  the application to be an iTunes record label requires a 20 album catalog to start. . .  i don't know the exact criteria to get the access, but i would also assume the source material would have to have non-padded zero resolution above 16 bits (24bit more than likely and not just up sampled from a 16 bit source) and any sample rate 44.1kHz-192kHz.  on top of that, the files would have to pass the afclip command line utility with no samples clipped and no inter-sample peaks to qualify.  again, i don't know for sure, but i would assume the tools they make available through the MFiT program are actually used as benchmarks.

i'll keep looking and update if i find a definitive answer

- nick
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 19 queries.