R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My business manager's birthday present  (Read 3239 times)

PBM

My business manager's birthday present
« on: May 13, 2013, 09:36:46 AM »

My business manager told me a couple of weeks ago that we were having another good quarter and so - by the way - was there any piece of equipment I'd like or needed for the mastering room  ...?

I was on the phone to Jonte ordering a new Knif Vari-Mu II (amorphous cored and dual metered) even before her words had stopped hanging in the air ...

Looks like delivery date is going to be end of the month - around my birthday. Yay! (as my young daughter says when she gets what she wants for hers) ...

Cheers,

Eric

P.S. Sorry - the point of this post was also to say that we'll have a Thermionic Culture Phoenix (Mastering Edition, with Mullards) for sale sometime soon ...!

Philosophers Barn Mastering
www.phibarnmastering.co.uk

Michael Hynes

Re: My business manager's birthday present
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 04:59:55 PM »

You Beat me to it!

Can't wait to hear your thoughts.......

djwaudio

• Real Full Name: Dana J White
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 01:22:03 AM »

Cheers on the abundance! Looking forward to the reviews as well, these seem to be rare in the US.
Respectfully submitted,

Dana J White
Specialized Mastering
www.specializedmastering.com

Miguel P. Marques

• Real Full Name: Miguel Marques
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 11:29:36 AM »

P.S. Sorry - the point of this post was also to say that we'll have a Thermionic Culture Phoenix (Mastering Edition, with Mullards) for sale sometime soon ...!

Congrats on the purchase but, why are your parting with the Phoenix? Just curious about it...
Bender Mastering Studio
www.bendermasteringstudio.com

PBM

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 05:29:03 PM »

Congrats on the purchase but, why are your parting with the Phoenix? Just curious about it...

The Phoenix is a great mastering compressor - I've really enjoyed using it on electronica and some recent Ministry of Sound dance stuff, but it is not as subtle as the Knif: we also do a lot of jazz here (more and more) and the Phoenix is often just a tad too `thick' for e.g. acoustic bass.

The Knif way with valves, and the amorphous core transformers are very clean and open, in quite a unique way - I've been hooked on this sound since getting the Knif EQ over a year ago and now I want it in the compressor too. IF I need both, I'll keep both, but I think the Knif can do `thick' enough, as well as the clean.

(Actually, `clean' is probably the wrong word for the Knif as it is not un-textured: if I want clean, clean, I use the Sonoris mastering compressor which is just superb at invisible control. I don't really know how to describe the Knif signature really. Expensive and Addictive might do to start though ...)

Cheers,

Eric

PBM

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 04:56:14 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.