R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Apple Extreme  (Read 6039 times)

djwaudio

• Real Full Name: Dana J White
Apple Extreme
« on: April 16, 2013, 03:25:35 PM »

Is anyone using the Apple Exreme for serving files to clients?  I'm growing weary of file delivery services, mainly because of my upload time and interfacing.  Just wondering if an in house server setup would work. 

Here's the Apple sell:

"AirPort Extreme can turn your external USB hard drive into a drive you can share with all the users on your network and access securely over the Internet."

Other suggestions welcome too!

Respectfully submitted,

Dana J White
Specialized Mastering
www.specializedmastering.com

DOMC

• Real Full Name: Dominic McGlinn
  • DOMC Mastering
Re: Apple Extreme
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 03:33:34 PM »

http://www.maxum.com/Rumpus/index.html

You're welcome. ;). I use to use this in conjunction with port forwarding and dyndns system. As I didn't pay for a static ip at home. I feel your pain my upload speeds suck in a big way. Maybe ill go back to rumpus.
Domc

Mastering Engineer
Dominic McGlinn B.Mus.T. (Hons)

Margate, QLD
+61421961641

www.domc.com.au
[email protected]

Sonovo

• R/E/P Forums
  • Real Full Name: Thor Legvold
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 06:51:59 PM »

I'm not sure that an Airport Extreme will work in the way you're expecting it to for file sharing. Nor is there any sort of account or user areas to keep someone from downloading other people's material.

We've been using Rumpus for several years now and couldn't be happier. It's very easy to set up and administer, is secure, and very easy to use for our customers.

Highly recommended!

(it helps that we have symmetrical fiber optic lines too!)

Thor
Sonovo A/S
Stereo + 5.1 Mastering, Editing & Restoration
Stavanger, Norway
www.sonovo.no

djwaudio

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 09:42:04 PM »

Thanks for the Rumpus tip, that looks really solid.  I would want to have a separate computer to use it though, which would be fine, as I may need to retire this PowerBook G4 from 2005 one of these days. 

As Thor mentioned, the Extreme wont likely have the security and access features that I would need. 

I just found this on the web page though...

"You can set up password-protected accounts for everyone on the network or allow read-only access to certain files and folders."
Respectfully submitted,

Dana J White
Specialized Mastering

Thomas W. Bethel

• Real Full Name: Thomas W. Bethel
  • When only the best will do.
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 06:19:43 AM »

I have been using Drop Box for sometime and find it quick and easy and secure. FWIW
Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

Celebrating 29 years in business in 2024

When only the best will do...

BiigNiick

• R/E/P Forums
  • Real Full Name: Nick Landis
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 11:33:17 AM »

Thanks for the Rumpus tip, that looks really solid.  I would want to have a separate computer to use it though, which would be fine, as I may need to retire this PowerBook G4 from 2005 one of these days. 

As Thor mentioned, the Extreme wont likely have the security and access features that I would need. 

I just found this on the web page though...

"You can set up password-protected accounts for everyone on the network or allow read-only access to certain files and folders."

i'm administrator of the FTP server here at Terra Nova and we use PureFTPd on an old Mac G5 tower.  MacOS also has an integrated FTP server capability that the program we use utilizes.  the functionality you need to get this running (port forwarding) is available on most routers.  the Airport Extreme has been rock solid for us here, we've been through routers from 2 other brands that occasionally would stop working until reset. . .  i would not recommend the file sharing on the Airport Extreme for external client connections, although i don't have much experience with it. . .

- nick

John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering

• Real Full Name: John Scrip
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 01:56:20 AM »

+1 on Rumpus -- Running 24/7 on a MacMini. 

THAT SAID -- 90% of the time, I'm using a php based system on my web server that lets the user control and sign up and what not.  Any troubles?  Rumpus.  Transfers without wanting a new account?  Rumpus.  Runs like a champ. 
John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering

Alécio Costa - Brazil

• Real Full Name: Alécio T. Costa
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 04:09:27 PM »

There is a company that deals with my FTP.
 I recomend clients download filezilla or cyberduck or even IE so they can send and receive files.
Alécio Costa Studio
www.aleciocosta.com

DOMC

• DOMC Mastering
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 01:24:31 AM »

my current system is two fold system - file uploads are handled by filechucker - EXCELLENT system.

http://encodable.com/filechucker/

and my downloads are handled by docman
http://www.joomlatools.com/extensions/docman/overview

docman can do everything but the ease and simplicity of filechucker makes it great for uploading - docman on the back end gives me all the tweaking I need to set up groups for a single file, locked down files per account - public access files etc.  But it needs Joomla as your main CMS. 

Filechucker also needs some stuff on your server to be turned on/installed (perl scripting and php upload limits etc) it helps to have your own VPS or dedicated server so you can tweak it all yourself.

and yes I am a web nerd
Domc

Mastering Engineer

Margate, QLD
+61421961641

www.domc.com.au
[email protected]

DOMC

• DOMC Mastering
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 01:26:18 AM »

file chucker can also do all the upload and download you need as well and Anthony the guy who does it all is great with service and support.  He can also give you a login system to integrate with your current website if you don't have one. and its stupidly cheap
Domc

Mastering Engineer

Margate, QLD
+61421961641

www.domc.com.au
[email protected]

BiigNiick

• R/E/P Forums
  • Real Full Name: Nick Landis
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 02:39:36 PM »

i've messed around with this one too.  it's much like filechucker

http://ajaxplorer.info/

- nick

djwaudio

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 12:56:32 AM »

There is a company that deals with my FTP.
 I recomend clients download filezilla or cyberduck or even IE so they can send and receive files.

Used to use FTP, but had a lot of musicians uploading who had no idea what it was and how to use it. The net result was a lot of time spent tech-supporting file uploads.  I'm looking for maxim simplicity for the users, naturally.
Respectfully submitted,

Dana J White
Specialized Mastering

fuse

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2013, 12:02:48 PM »

The issue is that if you buy some hardware and configure it to be used at your own place it will set there 24/7/365 and most likely unattended. But you are always in control of the data.
If you get a file cloud service you pay a fee and have your space watched 24/7/365 by a professional company who will go bankrupt if they mess up their end of the deal to all their customers.
But if you don't pay in time or are involved in legal matters that space will be unaccessible.

ggidluck

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 04:40:57 PM »

I used a linux server here for a few years and the dyndns service because I did not have a static ip. It was easy to just ftp files over and then it was the client responsibility to pickup the files and wait on the downloads.

It's a bit of a nuisance to deal with the IP issue, as sometimes the DSL service is out and my IP changes. There are ways to deal with that of course.

What I am doing now is using dropbox. Clients don't need to have it unless they want to upload files for sharing. You just create a link and send them an email or a PM with the link in it. And whomever has that link can get the file.

There are two main advantages. Uploads are handled transparently in the background. Also since it is a cloud based storage multiple people can get the file (if needed) and it doesn't affect my limited bandwidth.

Also, I have never paid a dime to dropbox. I have done enough referrals that I think I have something like 12gb or so now and if any limits are ever hit I can manage the space by deleting old files. I much prefer this over managing an FTP server here.

You can setup a shared area with each client if you wish. I guess I tend to use the aforementioned method for one off type projects. If multiple files are shared or this is an ongoing client I will setup a shared folder.

Gordon

Dave-G

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 07:21:59 AM »

Rumpus on a Mac Mini here too for some years now has been nothing short of awesome.

BUT .. after upgrading a year or so ago to the FiOS package that averages near 70Mbps on the upload ... it's now awesomer.

There's no need for hand-holding or tech support on file access, speeds are good, and it's robust and secure. 

PLUS, with a little customization, proper branding, etc, it looks really good, too. (matters!)
Dave Greenberg
Sonopod Mastering
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 20 queries.