R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mono compatibility  (Read 2261 times)

SafeandSoundMastering

• Real Full Name: Barry Gardner
  • My analogue rack
Mono compatibility
« on: April 12, 2013, 04:08:01 AM »

Mixing - mono compatibility considerations and tips

A short text considering the reasons to maintain mono compatibility of your mix. Ultimately a compromise between artistic and technical goals. I hope it is of interest and use. feel free to share far and wide.
Barry Gardner
SafeandSound Mastering UK based online mastering studio.

Jim Williams

Re: Mono compatibility
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 01:34:30 PM »

Good text. I'm far less concerned about mono compatibility than I was 30+ years ago cutting vinyl. Back then you could get a cutter head to jump out of the grooves.

These days you may get more cancellations, but the music still plays.

The destination is also a factor. In a theater, you want everyone in the room to be able to hear a decent soundtrack. Listening positions are everywhere so it all has to work everywhere. FM is less of a factor now due to digital transmission of TV and other factors (satelllite radio, web radio, etc.) AM radio is stereo here in the USA.

Most pop music releases are now played on headphones. Hi-fi's with speakers have never been this uncommon in my life. Rather than everyone gathering in a room to hear a recording, everyone has their own player and ear-buds, that's when they arn't staring at their dumb phones. Music listening has become a solo experience. It's like watching a modern family out for a weekend dinner. They all sit quietly staring at their phones with ear-buds on while I'm left wondering if they acknowledge each other's existence.

With the low fi acceptance of bit reduced audio, I'm less concerned about mono compatibility than I have ever been. Digital delivery does offer the mixer more options, including psycho-acoustic tricks to move things about that would never get cut to vinyl. I see nothing wrong with a non-mono compatible stereo recording that offers the listener extra sonics that would be missed if they were forced to conform to mono compatibility. A warning on the label would be fine for me.

WARNING: This recording is not compatible on monaural playback systems. For best results, only play on stereophonic playback systems.

The one warning I want more but will never see is:

WARNING: This recording contains excess distortion, digital overs and mass compression. Listening to this product may cause insanity, loss of bodily functions and a tendency to beat your spouse.

Fletcher

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 08:03:32 AM »

I have encountered some cable TV providers that say they're delivering a "stereo" signal but are delivering no version of stereo with which I have any familiarity... this is about the only reason I pay strict attention to "mono compatibility". 

Jim --- I think your second warning label should be mandatory on a most delivered product [especially MP-3's!!]... but alas, I don't think we'll see that in our lifetimes.

Peace
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Jim Williams

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 01:02:24 PM »

My local 'cable service provider' is Time-Warner. They have the government sanctioned monopoly on service in this area.

It's good to be the king.

Besides the images locking up every other day, sometimes they also telecast in mono. The sound only comes out of the left side. I guess you would have to call that "half-stereo" instead of mono.

Mono compatibility may be more important in dentist's offices and elevators. You know, the places where no one is listening?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 21 queries.