R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: My U47 needs help!!!  (Read 9593 times)

klaus

Re: My U47 needs help!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2013, 01:53:45 PM »

Yes, familiar with the WE 407. Tried it, years ago, upon the suggestion of Oliver, and it sounded (at least to me) thin and glassy. I also assume that the Telefunken/USA "VF14K" glass tube-within-a-steel-tube jacket they are selling is that tube. Someone correct me if I am wrong and you know for certain what that tube is.

I guess, the 407's appeal is primarily that it requires no major power supply changes from Neumann's original VF14 set-up, and, aside of tube socket changes, (when not using Telefunken/USA's tube) that must have been an appealing consideration for all who tried it. 

All things being equal, the EF14 or UF14 solution to the VF14 shortage remains the sonically more appealing work-around, despite its sonic shortcomings

A postscript: a Finnish fellow just emailed me that he has three new-in-box VF14s for sale. This on top of various collectors who sit on hundreds or more of these things...
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

David Bock

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2013, 12:16:12 PM »

(Turned out the B plus was right on 105 volts from the NG supply, and a scope showed extremely low ripple.) 
There should be NO ripple from an NG connected to a U47.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2013, 07:15:58 PM »

Klaus, have you listened to EF14 conversions, when paired with Oli's BV8 type, frequency balanced for the EF14?

klaus

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2013, 07:17:21 PM »

I have not.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 21 queries.