R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for a new sound card...  (Read 4124 times)

Thomas W. Bethel

• Real Full Name: Thomas W. Bethel
  • When only the best will do.
Looking for a new sound card...
« on: November 21, 2012, 10:05:59 AM »

Does anyone have any suggestions for a PCI sound card. Does anyone use a LYNX L22 card? Any information would be most greatly appreciated.

I currently have an RME Digi96/Pad 8 card and I am getting in more material mixed at higher sampling rates so I am looking to replace the RME card. Looking at their website RME no longer makes a 2 channel card with AES/EBU ins and outs. The material I see on line about the LYNX card looks GREAT but I wondered if there were some more suggestions??? Thanks in advance.
Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

Celebrating 29 years in business in 2024

When only the best will do...

BiigNiick

• R/E/P Forums
  • Real Full Name: Nick Landis
Re: Looking for a new sound card...
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 11:53:51 PM »

Jerry and I both got Lynx cards in our studios. They are the AES16 cards, so not exactly the model you are  looking at, but I've been impressed with the stability of the system/drivers. It is THE most stable system I have ever used.  I'd be interested to know how the converters sound on the L22.

Good hunting :-)
 - nick

OTR Mastering

• OTR Mastering
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 07:15:20 PM »

I have a Lynx L22. It was a huge step up from the soundcard I was using before. I'm currently using it as the monitor DAC as well as to send/rcv signal to/from the analog chain. I have a Lavry DA10 and a Lavry AD10 for the analog chain conversion. This is a very stable chain. Before I got the AD10, I was using the L22 analog input to return the analog signal back into the DAW. The Lavry offers more headroom at the ADC than the L22 and the top end sounds much clearer. Love the Lavrys.

A while back, I listened to the L22 and DA10 straight from the DAW to the amp. The DA10 was (obviously) the clear winner there as the L22 sounded murky in comparison. The AD10 is also a clear winner over the L22's ADC for analog input. Not that the L22 sounds bad at all, the Lavry convertors are just simply better.

Eventually, I'll be looking for another monitoring DAC but, for now, the L22 gives me good enough results that I'm not fishing for the correct sound. It just takes me a bit longer I think to dial stuff in than if I had a truer DAC for monitoring. Once I get a better monitor DAC, I'll likely keep the L22 to send/rcv signal to/from the Lavrys and may even get another one to feed the monitor DAC...

All that said, I've had no issues with the L22 at all. I'm using it with Samplitude 11 Pro running under Win7 Pro .
JL
OTR Mastering
Professional Audio Production for Life
shoutlife.com/OTRMastering

Miguel P. Marques

• Real Full Name: Miguel Marques
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 04:55:04 AM »

IMO getting a newer RME interface is a good investment, even if it has more channels than you currently need.

And you also get the newer TotalMix and DigiCheck which is obviously a plus!

Not to say anything bad about the Lynx stuff, but the RME package is pretty impressive.
Bender Mastering Studio
www.bendermasteringstudio.com

Jim Williams

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 10:59:19 AM »

I've had an RME DIGI 9636 card since 2000. Works fine. I also have a $60 M-Audio Audiophile 9624 card that also works just as well. That is just as good if you can deal with S/PDIF I/O and 96 k. Throw it into a used $85 Dell XP and you are set. It's all I need for CD prep work.

Joe_caithness

• Real Full Name: Joseph Caithness
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 11:49:40 AM »

Got a Lynx1 off ebay for 50 quid.

Preferred it in my chain to my Benchmark DAC, which is back in the monitor chain and working great.
http://www.subsequentmastering.com

Online mastering, based in Nottingham, UK

djwaudio

• Real Full Name: Dana J White
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 11:59:45 PM »

Wow, I do remember liking those Lynx 1 converters when I got my card back in '98-99.  The smoked all the DAT machines and DAW converters we had at the time by a lot. 

Ours is still serving us, but in digital only.  Also, for a decent card, the Trace Alpha goes up to 192 and is wallet friendly.  I had some driver issues early on, but it's been running well since (knock on wood).

Respectfully submitted,

Dana J White
Specialized Mastering
www.specializedmastering.com

Thomas W. Bethel

• Real Full Name: Thomas W. Bethel
  • When only the best will do.
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 06:36:05 AM »

Thanks!  It looks interesting. I would need the AES/EBU version since our whole operation is setup using it.
Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

Celebrating 29 years in business in 2024

When only the best will do...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.