R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: screws for KM 84 and question on U 87 AI  (Read 3732 times)

lausookiesookie

• Real Full Name: Kevin Dyer
screws for KM 84 and question on U 87 AI
« on: January 26, 2013, 04:23:36 PM »

I have a KM 84 that was in a studio time share  and ,somehow, the little  screws attaching  the tube/ case are missing. Weird. I was wondering where I can find those ? Maybe I should ask Neumann. Also, a friend wants to get a U 87 AI. How are the new ones different from the older ones ? I know from experience that the Km 84 smokes the KM 184. Is this the case with the vintage U 87  vs a U 87 AI if the capsule on the vintage is in good shape or New/ NOS ?  Cheers.

klaus

Re: screws for KM 84 and question on U 87 AI
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 04:32:39 PM »

Specialty-screws forn the KM84 housing ("Madenschrauben") are available from Neumann.

No direct comparison between KM84-184 and U87-U87A should be made. The 184 does not have a transformer, and is a fully chipped, op-amp-equipped mic, vs. the KM84 with its transformer and single active device (FET).

There are many threads on this and other forums about the structural and perceived sonic differences between U87 and U87A. I suggest you read them all, then ask more questions, if you have them.

best,
KH
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

radiovinhet

• Real Full Name: Luis Fernando
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 03:03:34 PM »

Try to find in www.recordinghacks.com a test with vintage u87 and u87ai model.
There's two versions of u87Ai too... the lastest version (2002 until now) have a "mini sub-board with smd components" that replaced the Fet.

Jim Williams

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 08:21:16 PM »

I think Klaus mentioned it before that those 87's still have the original pcb and layout underneath that daughter module. You can pull out the daughter board and re-populate the main pcb with the original designed parts.

DarinK

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 12:33:16 PM »

A note on the recordinghacks comparison - they state that the "vintage" U87 had been serviced by Neumann, but the video/article does not specify what that servicing entailed - it could have a new capsule, for example, or it could be nearly stock.  So it's perhaps not exactly a definitive comparison.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 19 queries.