R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to remove a AKG pattern selector knob?  (Read 4505 times)

API

• Real Full Name: Dennis Johansson
How to remove a AKG pattern selector knob?
« on: January 31, 2013, 07:33:38 PM »

Hi.

I am trying to repair a AKG S36 pattern selector box and i need to remove the inards of the box but i am not able to remove the bakelite selector knob on top.
There is no setscrew and i am a little scared to pry it of with a screwdriver, i do not want to scratch or bend the metalplate beneath the knob.
I guess this box is almost identical, except for the filters, to the C12 patternbox so maybe someone here has some experience with removing the knob on one of those.

Regards,
Dennis

klaus

Re: How to remove a AKG pattern selector knob?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 09:19:14 PM »

All early C12/C24 have a pattern control box with the same gigantic knob(s). These knobs are compression-fit: The firmer they were originally pushed onto the knob's shaft, the harder they will come off.

You can fabricate a thin but strong plastic lever* (better two, positioned on opposite sides of the knob's skirt) that resembles a flathead screw driver.  Wedge the tool under the knob's wide flange, pressing against the anodized metal plate the knob is mounted on on one side, then do the same on the opposite side, until the knob gradually starts loosening. These knobs are brittle, and will break if you use too much force. A hairdryer applied to the area before you start will help.

*Harbor Freight carries a five-tool set. It's used to dismantle the interior plastic fittings of modern cars with minimal or no scraping or gauging: http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-auto-trim-and-molding-tool-set-67021.html
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

API

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 01:55:13 PM »

Thanks Klaus.

I was afraid that this was the case but i will give it a try to gently pry it off.
I do not want to break the beautiful knob.

klaus

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 07:19:14 PM »

Take your time. Everything in the world comes off- with a bit of forethought and lots of patience!
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

API

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 01:12:29 PM »

So, had great success today!
As you said, working it slowly did the trick.
I also realized that at the tail end of the knob there was space to get a screwdriver in all the way to the post, the rest of the knob is dished so not easy to get all the way in otherwise, see the pic below.

Also wanted to show some pics of the inside of this amazing piece of engineering.
That big switch and all the inductors and transformers just screams "no compromise".

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.