R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Time to Update, but I need your input.  (Read 2130 times)

songofapoet

• Real Full Name: Kevin Flick
Time to Update, but I need your input.
« on: January 18, 2013, 05:50:28 PM »

Hello! I'm new here, but I'd love your input.

To introduce myself, I seriously pursued recording about five years ago. I was recording bands while working a full time job. After a band took advantage of me, I took a break from recording and returned to school. Anyways, I'm getting back into recording (or wanting to).

Here's the thing: I need to update my software and hardware.

I currently have a Digi002, and was running Pro Tools on a laptop. I have other gear, but the only piece of gear that comes into consideration is the Presonus DigiMax LT that uses an optic connection to the Digi002.

I realize I need to replace my mixer, but I've only found one mixer that has an optic in/out, and that's the Yamaha 01v96i. I'm not sure I'm sold on this mixer though.

For the time being, I could purchase PT 10, and I wouldn't have to update my board until PT11 comes out (Digidesign is dropping support for Digi002 after PT10). Or I could switch to Sonar or Nuendo and continue using my board until I can afford a new one.

I'm comfortable with PT, as well as Audition. My qualm with PT is that the RTAS plugins are so expensive. The VSTs are cheaper, though you risk buying cheaper sounding plugins. Course, I would rather avoid plugins all together and buy hardware.

What do you suggest?
Should I stick with PT10 or switch to another DAW?
Should I replace my mixer?
If so, what would you suggest? (Do I even need a mixer?)

I'd love your input. Thanks!
Flick

----
Twitter: @songofapoet

Fletcher

Re: Time to Update, but I need your input.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 06:23:44 PM »

I was told at last year's AES [when PT-10 came out] that this year's AES would bring out PT-11, as I didn't go I have no idea if that was a truth or not [and the guy who was running the project now works elsewhere]... but I would expect PT-11 to come out within this calendar year.

That said -- PT-10 seemed fine to me [I mean it seemed to be as good as any version of PT I'd heard so far... which is a damn sight less impressive than the RADAR system... but I digress].

I don't really think this answers your question... but it might be something to think about.

If I were going to stick with the Pro-sTools format then I'd be looking for something like a "Pro-Tools controller" rather than a digital console... but that could just be me.

Peace
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Dinogi

• Real Full Name: Dean Giamette
  • Wow! A third star! I'll try to be worthy of it.
Re: Time to Update, but I need your input.
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 07:21:51 AM »

Hey there Flick,
As I re-read your post a few times, your comments seemed to indicate that better defining your ultimate goals would be in order. In particular, the comments excerpted below gave me cause to worry that you're about to invest a whole lot of money that you really can't afford toward a plan that your not completely clear on,
  "recording bands"...On location or in your studio? ... "getting back into recording (or wanting to)" Big step after five years. Take it slowly..."For the time being" I hate that phrase. Getting something just for now is usually just a bad use of limited funds... "switch to Sonar or Nuendo" And deal with a whole new learning curve?..."Digidesign is dropping support for Digi002" God I hate Avid  ..."until I can afford a new one(mixer)" Fletchers idea is a far better one. Get a DAW controller instead... "RTAS plugins are so expensive...avoid plugins all together and buy hardware".Why one or the other? Why not a little of both flavors. Besides, if you think plug-ins are expensive, you'll certainly have a coronary over the purchase price of multiple hardware units.
Please think about what you want to accomplish a little more before putting yourself into a bad situation and suck the enjoyment out of the endeavor.
olduncledinogiammattei
I'd trade everything I own now for a good sounding room and a bucket of 57's.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.