R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rode nt3 or Rode m3?  (Read 3250 times)

aroldi

• Real Full Name: aroldi di
Rode nt3 or Rode m3?
« on: December 03, 2012, 05:36:48 AM »

Hello friends,

nowadays I'm looking for a mic that is good in rejecting noises from the outside(car, buses, people scream:)) i.e tight cardioid or hypercardioid), is battery operated (because my phantom is pretty bad), and bellow 300$. I record in very problematic environment. Actually, I think about the Rode nt3 or the Rode m3. Which one is better in rejecting outside noises? disregard the quallity of them...i'm interested in their polar pattern characters.
Thanks, (sorry for my english)

Fletcher

Re: Rode nt3 or Rode m3?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 09:56:43 AM »

Why a condenser mic?  The Telefunken M80 [which is a dynamic mic] will give you a very tight polar pattern [hypercardioid] and an overall response that is very similar to that of a condenser mic without the need for phantom [or battery] power.  In the US they're less than $300 - don't know where you are in the world but I would suggest you check one out as it seems like it might indeed fit your criteria.

Peace
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Dinogi

• Real Full Name: Dean Giamette
  • Wow! A third star! I'll try to be worthy of it.
Re: Rode nt3 or Rode m3?
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 04:53:46 AM »

+1 for the M80. I use dynamic mics a lot and purchased a couple of these a while back, just to have something different.
An UN-fifty seven? Something to complement my old 57's, EV-RE10's-15's, & 20's, Shure SM7, Sennheizer MD211's, etc.  I now carry them everywhere right along with the rest of my mics. When I need to interconnect with PA systems for a video feed, I replace the house mics with the M80's. I swear I'm telling the truth when I say that every FOH engineer who has heard them thought they sounded better than whatever they had been using. I have also had several home recording folks give up on their cheap Chinese condensers and buy these when they heard the M80. A sub 300 dollar LDC can't touch these mics for straight up sound quality.
Before you buy some Sampson, Nady, Sennheizer, or whatever P.O.S. condenser, you should try one of these yourself. I can only describe it as a Hi-Fi sounding 57. I plan on checking out Tfunc's M81(?) for times when I don't need/want the mid-high boost. Great mic! The only downside for me is the shiny chrome grill. For photographic purposes I would rather have the black head grill. A while back Fletcher gave me a name to contact to purchase the black grills but I couldn't get Tfunc to respond to multiple emails. Oh well, I still love the mics.
olduncledinogiammattei
I'd trade everything I own now for a good sounding room and a bucket of 57's.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.