R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting back into this.  (Read 3675 times)

Amund Blix Aaeng

• Real Full Name: Amund Blix Aaeng
Getting back into this.
« on: October 31, 2012, 01:28:21 PM »

Fletcher, you may remember me, I'm the Norwegian that used to bug you with all sorts of questions back in the late 90's... :)

Well I'm back!  Almost... The studio I worked with turned into a Karaoke(!) studio and I became a father in 2000, so I pretty much fell out of all this(guitars and audio), hey I even got a real job a few years ago.
Funny how a steady paycheck can improve day to day life haha... Oh well.

I've alway been a guitarist first, so a couple years ago I got the urge to pickup the guitars again, and before I knew I was back buying gear.

Now I wanted to record some stuff and just play around with tones, so on a whim I bought a ahem, Line 6 UX1 interface because it came with the POD Farm software. Fun to have running all the time and just grab a guitar and wail away.
Then I noticed it had a mic input, so I got a Sennheiser e906 and I was off.

I have lived with this setup for a while now and the audio "quality" is starting to bug me. Duh.
So it's about time for some upgrades.
I got a Mac recently, and I guess a Apogee Duet would be a good upgrade. But a man got to have some toys as well.
I have always wanted a lunch box and a API preamp or two, so that's what I'm possibly looking at.
Checking out the 500-series page over at Mercenary left me in shock, seems there's been an explosion of compatible modules while I wasn't paying attention!

The Tonelux 4-slot lunchbox looks ideal. Reasonably inexpensive and international voltage.

What I'll record is a plexi set to 10 most of the time, think Van Halen 1 :) 
Just recording little clips and stuff for reviewing gear most of the time, but that doesn't mean I have to compromise with Line 6 gear you know  :P

Soooo, trying to get to the point.  I was initially thinking starting off with a API and a Speck EQ or maybe a compressor. But the options on the 500-series page makes my head spin. What if I'm missing out one of the new great gadgets invented while I was away...
The guitarist in me says I should have whatever they used back in the days at Sunset Sound, some Putnam console of some sorts?, but I know that ain't happening... :)

So what do you say Fletcher, what do you recommend to a 40-year old on a nostalgia trip for tracking guitars?... :)

Thanks

Amund
Weekend warrior and wannabe guitar hero.

Fletcher

Re: Getting back into this.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 09:45:54 AM »

Sorry I was off the grid for a few days... I was in NY for the hurricane that blew through and was without power, phone or internet for a few days [kinda nice actually... except for the freezing my bollocks off part  >:( ]

On the 500 series stuff... Purple Audio.  They make great compressors, EQ's and Pre-Amps that will get you that "old school" sound with great flexibility and performance.  I like it better than the API stuff [for the most part] - and their frame works better than any other frame in the world of 220v / 50Hz power!!!!

There is no shortage of 500 series stuff to sift through... but if I were in your shoes I'd go Purple all the way!!

Peace
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Jim Williams

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 11:19:10 AM »

So what do you say Fletcher, what do you recommend to a 40-year old on a nostalgia trip for tracking guitars?... :)

Thanks

Amund

As a 60 year old guitarist, I can only tell you:

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be".

Amund Blix Aaeng

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 04:57:01 AM »

Sorry I was off the grid for a few days... I was in NY for the hurricane that blew through and was without power, phone or internet for a few days [kinda nice actually... except for the freezing my bollocks off part  >:( ]

On the 500 series stuff... Purple Audio.  They make great compressors, EQ's and Pre-Amps that will get you that "old school" sound with great flexibility and performance.  I like it better than the API stuff [for the most part] - and their frame works better than any other frame in the world of 220v / 50Hz power!!!!

There is no shortage of 500 series stuff to sift through... but if I were in your shoes I'd go Purple all the way!!

Peace

Thank you. Not a good time to stay in NY I guess, horrible stuff.

The Purple Audio gear looks fantastic,  thanks for the recommendation. Biz or Pants?

I see one problem with the PA frame, too many unused slots will hurt my wallet! :D

As a 60 year old guitarist, I can only tell you:

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be".

Haha.

Btw, you did a killer job on the CAD Maxcon master module you upgraded for me years ago. :

Fletcher

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 05:06:32 PM »

The Purple "Sweet 10" frame is the best 500 series frame going -- it is 10 slots but price wise its not that much more expensive than the API 6 slot frame -- and the power supply is VASTLY superior [which very much affects the quality of the audio].

If you only need two slots then look at the Empirical Labs 2 slot frame - it too has an excellent power supply... but frankly, as time goes on... you will want the additional slots for growth.  Back in the day when I had Mercenary Audio there were blank panels that were shipped with all frames [that had a $50 coupon screened on them... so when you filled a slot with a module you automatically got $50 off the new module]... and had cool looking covers for the unused slots in the meanwhile.  I don't know if they still do this or not... but it might be worth investigation.

Peace
CN Fletcher

If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Amund Blix Aaeng

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 03:10:00 AM »

The Purple "Sweet 10" frame is the best 500 series frame going -- it is 10 slots but price wise its not that much more expensive than the API 6 slot frame -- and the power supply is VASTLY superior [which very much affects the quality of the audio].

If you only need two slots then look at the Empirical Labs 2 slot frame - it too has an excellent power supply... but frankly, as time goes on... you will want the additional slots for growth.  Back in the day when I had Mercenary Audio there were blank panels that were shipped with all frames [that had a $50 coupon screened on them... so when you filled a slot with a module you automatically got $50 off the new module]... and had cool looking covers for the unused slots in the meanwhile.  I don't know if they still do this or not... but it might be worth investigation.

Peace

The EL500 rack is almost the same price as the Purple rack here, so that's one easy decision.

I wasn't really planning on more than two modules, but I know how it goes.... :)

As for the Purple preamps, toss a coin? Judging by those who use them both seems to be killer, but I will not be able to try before I buy here.

Thanks!

Fletcher

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 10:52:41 AM »

I've used all the Purple stuff... and I think its wonderful.  Sorry you can't try before you commit - but fear not - its quality kit that will net you excellent results no matter what genre of music you're recording.

Peace
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 23 queries.