R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why am I being spammed by this website?  (Read 4400 times)

jamesp

Why am I being spammed by this website?
« on: October 31, 2012, 08:39:50 AM »

I couldn't find a general off topic forum so I thought I'd raise it here.

For some reason I'm now receiving 3 emails a day from Prosoundweb. These started a couple of days ago. I know for sure that I never asked to be subscribed to these emails so effectively it seems that Prosoundweb are spamming their users. Yes, I could go to the effort of making sure I'm unsubscribed from all their lists but it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

James.
James Perrett - JRP Music
http://www.jrpmusic.net

John Roberts {JR}

• Real Full Name: John Roberts
  • 10,000+
Re: Why am I being spammed by this website?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 11:26:15 AM »

The first day I changed preferences to stop the spam, and got more different spam one day later. I un-clicked them too, and today got a coincidental happy birthday email.

We'll see... I suspect they came up with some excuse to accidentally activate everybody... oops the dog ate our old settings.

===

Of course be careful, lots of die-hard spam, actually has malicious links labelled as "unsubscribe" in their spam emails, so check for the actual IP address of any  links in an email before clicking. 

With apple if you mouse-over the link it will reveal the actual link address.

JR
Circular Science     http://RESOTUNE.COM

"tune it or don't play it..."

Fletcher

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 09:40:25 AM »

Its not "spam" -- its "industry news and information"... you can unsubscribe, or you can get the latest industry news and information.

Your choice - do as you please!!
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

jamesp

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 12:22:06 PM »

Your choice - do as you please!!

I've tried all the unsubscribe options offered in the email but it still comes. Just received another 2 today. I know that there are plenty of decent people around here but whoever is running the organisation seems intent on annoying people. If any of you have contacts deeper within the Prosoundweb organisation can you let them know that there's definitely something wrong with their subscribe/unsubscribe system.

James.
James Perrett - JRP Music
http://www.jrpmusic.net

John Willett

• Real Full Name: John Willett
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 06:46:36 AM »

On some of these newsletter e-mails there is a link on the newsletter itself to unsubscribe.

I would try this.

From a legitimate site like this it should then automatically unsubscribe you.

holm

• Real Full Name: Arne Holm
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 08:09:59 AM »

Well ain't that nice! First out of the blue I started to get spam "industry news and information" from ProSoundWeb - an unexpected "gift" that I have been not interested in at all. It took me two tries to unsubscribe of all the garbage PSW was spewing into my direction and all was well for about a week.

Today I got TWO NEW e-mails from Tech decisions titeled "Cyber Monday - Over 25 Tech Toys from the TechDecisions Editors Wish List" that apparently comes from exactly the same marketing company having exactly the same fucking unsubscribe form

Why thank you Pro Sound Web for selling my REAL e-mail that I gave you YEARS ago when you still seemed to be a reputable business to an online mass e-mail campaign vendor. Thanks a bunch indeed.

Jim Williams

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 11:28:53 AM »

I unsubscribed and haven't got a thing since. If you have a spam filter, just add it to that if you can't get cooperation. Norton works pretty good for me.

Fletcher

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 04:11:44 PM »

FWIW - I've been able to "unsubscribe" from the stuff I didn't want... and so far I have yet to receive anything where it appears they've "sold" my email address.  I don't know what happened in you case... but so far I've experienced nothing quite as egregious as you've described.

Peace
CN Fletcher

If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Patrick Tracy

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 11:47:54 AM »

Two clicks: select message, mark as spam, done. Now it just goes into the spam folder and gets automatically deleted with all the other spam.

burfco_cps

• Real Full Name: Bill Burford
My initial reaction to this was
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 10:53:27 AM »

seriously, at first, I thought?  what's the big deal... a few prosoundweb emails here and there... nothing out of the ordinary..

I was bored when I woke up so I kept reading.... and THEN I SAW IT:

TECH DECISIONS

SO THIS is where that came from.... I was highly annoyed by the very first email I got from Tech Decisions.  I actually unfriended someone from my Facebook over that because he was the only person I could think of that worked in A/V and I thought HE WAS the one who was responsible for adding me to that list...   Poor guy... I bet he never saw that coming..   Gee Wiz.   My initial reaction to this thread was "negative"... I take that back.

Fletcher

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 05:44:28 PM »

I dunno... I actually read that crap from time to time... the rest of the time I just hit "delete" with the other "news and information" stuff [like I do from Best Buy and Jet Blue... which I don't just direct to the "spam folder" because every now and again I'm actually interested in what they have to tell me].

Peace
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.