R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help? Setting up POD X3 PRO effects chain with head...  (Read 4842 times)

deigoruellez

• Real Full Name: Diego Ruelas
  • Born with a hunger for knowledge.......and tacos..
Help? Setting up POD X3 PRO effects chain with head...
« on: October 21, 2012, 03:43:39 AM »

Obviously, I am very new to studio equipment...........I just started apprenticing with a producer a few months ago, sitting in and assisting various studio tasks, learning a lot.  However, I was hoping someone could clarify something for me seeing as though my producer is out of reach at the moment.

How exactly do I set up an effects chain using our Line 6 Pod X3 Pro with a head? (We're tracking guitar, miking cabs with different heads).  I guess what confuses me is when to use the output or the send, the input or the return, etc.  If someone could simplify this for me just for clarity, that would be great.  Thank you!
"To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human..."

Fletcher

Re: Help? Setting up POD X3 PRO effects chain with head...
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 01:20:07 PM »

Its a pretty ambiguous question -- the output of what?  a send to what?  an input of what?  a return to what?  Outputs go to inputs [so long as your input can accept the signal from the output - as in the input needs to be able to accept the level and be at the same general impedance as the output that input will receive -- as in a +4 "line level" 600Ω output should not be plugged into a guitar amplifier without an appropriate interface... but I digress].

On the whole -- if you're changing heads and cabinets... you shouldn't need a "POD" at all [those things sound like ass and will only get in the way of a great guitar sound in my experience... however, you know what you're looking for more than I ever will... so as long as it sounds good -- it is good.

Peace
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Tim Halligan

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 10:11:19 PM »

How exactly do I set up an effects chain using our Line 6 Pod X3 Pro with a head? ...If someone could simplify this for me just for clarity, that would be great.  Thank you!

Put the Pod on the ground.

Jump on it repeatedly.

Then belt it with a sledgehammer.

Place the remnants in the dumpster.

You're welcome.

Cheers,
Tim

PS. Just so you know, in some circles the use of "guitar modeling" ...ie Pods, Digi Eleven, Ampfarm etc is known as "clownfucking"...and is widely considered to be a Very Bad Thing.
An analogue brain in a digital world.

Jim Williams

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 12:02:50 PM »

My friend has a Line Six amp. It's the worst sounding POS I've ever heard and I've heard a lot of amps. We did our annual High School party and jam last Sept. I recorded it again with the remote rig. The 1972 Deluxe reverb, 1966 Bandmaster and my 1965 Showman head all put it to shame in real time. Nothing like hearing those amps next to a Line Six amp, no EQ, raw.

The Line Six sounds like a soda straw next to a manly amp. I figure this CD will force my friend to realize he has the worst sound he's ever had in 48 years of playing guitar. It's truly embarrassing. As a result, I titled this year's CD, "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly". Ugly is for Line Six.

Fletcher

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 12:49:30 AM »

Had a similar experience working on a King's X record at Michael Wagener's "Wire World" in Nashville... Michael gets some amazing guitar sounds [amazing amp collection - excellent guitars available at the studio... and he's got a talent for "knowing" what the sound should be].

The POD rig lasted about an hour before it was banished to the irrelevant footnote it really is... but hey - the guys at Line 6 are laughing all the way to the bank.  As H.L. Menken once stated so eloquently "no one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public".

Peace
CN Fletcher

If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Jim Williams

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 12:37:35 PM »

Or as P.T Barnum said, "There's a sucker born every minute".

A little Dirty Harry is also required.

"A man's got to know his limitations".

Line Six is very limited.

jaykadis

• R/E/P Forums
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 03:01:55 PM »

While the POD is not a replacement for an amp, it can be useful as an effects processor in front of an amp, which is what is being proposed here.

If your amp has an effects loop, you can connect the POD send/return to the loop. Alternatively, you can use the POD output to feed the amp input. You will want to disable any amp simulation that might be running in the POD.

Fletcher

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 03:32:47 PM »

All due respect Jay -- a POD in front of an amp is still "tone sucking vermin"... those things suck the life out of any sound they touch -- especially guitars.  There is no known cure except the avoidance of said parasitic utensil.

Peace
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

jaykadis

• R/E/P Forums
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 10:19:38 AM »

We have one of the PODs in the studio, though I never use it. What I do use for live is an old Boss GT-3, which sounds fine through a couple of real amps for stereo effects. I have a hard time believing that the much newer POD is incapable of doing the same at least. Especially if you don't expect all the amp simulations stuff to work. I will give the POD a try - I still bet I can get a useable sound out of it with the right tweaking. I'll have to let you know.

Jim Williams

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 11:11:36 AM »

Most sounds are useful, at least once. A Line Six overdrive patch is useful for obtaining a very thin sort of tone that will ride on top of the meaty sounding stuff. Think of a kazoo on top of Clapton's Cream tones. Alone it's very thin, but like a broken clock, it can be right about twice a day. Usually that's when I'm sleeping. I like thick sounds on guitars.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 19 queries.