R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recording from analog to Logic  (Read 2109 times)

Horizon

• Real Full Name: Jimmy Johnosn
Recording from analog to Logic
« on: October 14, 2012, 05:50:18 PM »

Hi,

My friends say "why bother." But, I'd like to know how to go about recording, then dumping my tracks from an analog(thinking about a 1 inch 2ch machine) to my Logic Pro on my laptop. I record basically one track at a time anyway, and I'm really interested in getting a tape machine (suggestions), a high end channel strip/mic pre, and whatever else I need  to get me started. Any suggestions/insight/links/ that anyone can offer would be very much appreciated. I'm really excited about this, and want to take it to the next level.

Fletcher

Re: Recording from analog to Logic
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 10:42:56 PM »

Well -- rather than trying to do that, I'd suggest you look at something like the JCF converters which will cost far less than a 1" 2-track machine, require a hell of a lot less maintenance... but will get you a good 95 (or so)% of the way there [as they're basically Ampex tape machine electronics with a hell a great sounding converter system].

As Steve Albini once said [I may be paraphrasing] "tape machines should be big and clunky and difficult to use if only to keep the riff-raff out".  Learning the care and feeding of an analog deck takes a lot of time and patience.  Learning to sync an analog deck to anything else requires an entirely separate set of skills.

In this day and age [and remember - I grew up on analog and didn't find a digital format that I thought sounded acceptable until shortly after 2000 -- so its not like I'm kind of digital lover!!] -- there are alternatives to the analog domain... in my world the JCF stuff is one of those alternatives... as is the "iZ Technologies" RADAR- "Nyquist" system.

I hope this is of some assistance.

Peace
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 23 queries.