R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Selecting an audio card for a new computer  (Read 2448 times)

techbyter

• Real Full Name: Bill Blinn
Selecting an audio card for a new computer
« on: October 11, 2012, 03:55:27 PM »

I'm planning to purchase a new computer by the end of the year and I want to ensure that the sound card I add will satisfy Audition's needs.

Currently I use a digital audio recorder to capture voice tracks and then just copy the resulting audio file to the computer for editing because the built-in sound system isn't adequate.

The recording requirements are modest: Typically a single microphone (XLR connection although I can easily convert this to stereo mini as needed) but I would like the capability of listening to one track while recording another.

The new computer will run Windows 8 (I've been running beta versions, preview versions, and now the RTM code on notebook computers for more than a year so I'm comfortable installing it on the new desktop) and will be a 64-bit system.

One vendor recommended a USB-based audio device (specifically the Focusrite Saffire 6 USB - Audio Interface). This is a USB 2 device, which is probably fast enough for audio but I would expect a USB 3 device to be more capable.

Comments, suggestions, and recommendations are welcome.

Topslakr

• Real Full Name: Robert Woulfe
Re: Selecting an audio card for a new computer
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 09:31:02 PM »

I wouldn't necessarily expect a USB 3 device to be 'more capable' than a USB2 device. The faster throughput of USB 3 could mean more channels in a given interface but the current crop of USB 2 interfaces can handle quite a few streams of audio in and out of the computer. Focusrite offers an interface that will do 18 inputs and 6 outputs over USB 2. (Others may offer more.. but I was on their site looking up the interface you mentioned so I took a quick peek)

USB 3 is fine technology but I wouldn't get too caught up looking for a USB 3 interface over a USB 2 interface... to be frank I'm not aware of any strictly USB 3 interfaces though, of course, the USB 2 interfaces are compatible with a USB 3 port on a computer. At present I'm noticing higher end interfaces supporting thunderbolt and/or Firewire instead of USB 3. Others may have more current news that I do.. but I've not heard of anyone offering a strictly USB 3 interface yet.

The Focusrite Saffire 6 USB interface that the vendor mentioned to you will certainly meet your needs and, with a price a right around $200, is a reasonably good value. Most interface manufacturers offer similar devices at a similar price point but you could spend as little as $60 for a Lexicon Alpha and still get the features you mentioned and compatibility with Audition. Likewise, you could spend a great deal more if you wanted to. The more costly interfaces will offer you a larger feature set, higher quality, higher sampling rates, more inputs and outputs.. or any combination!

Do you have a budget in mind? What are you recording? You have modest I/O needs now but do you expect those needs to grow?

Good luck!

techbyter

• Real Full Name: Bill Blinn
Re: Selecting an audio card for a new computer
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 07:57:22 PM »

Thanks for the detailed and thoughtful reply, Topslakr! I record a weekly podcast so it's not a demanding application. My primary concern was with regard to to ability of an external USB device to provide the ability to listen to one channel while recording on another. The budget would be as little as possible for a quality result. I'm an old radio guy, so I try to maintain decent production standards for the podcast. (www.techbyter.com) The current procedure (recording to a Tascam DR07 and copying the file to the PC) works fine but I'd be happier if I could go direct to disk.

My target would be the ability to record with a 48K sample rate with 32-bit depth. (See, I said it was pretty basic!) Oh, and to answer your other question, no the needs won't change much. Possibly on occasion a second microphone but even that would be rare.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 23 queries.