R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the best computer platform to run audio and midi DAW programs like Pro T  (Read 2634 times)

Stephg_113

• Real Full Name: Gauthier

What is the best computer platform to run audio and midi DAW programs like Pro Tools and Digital Performer, Mac or PC?  I am thinking of buying a new computer for my home recording setup as my current one (Mac Pro 2007) is starting to show its age.  I love the Mac OS but not the over inflated cost of the hardware.  Should I build a high performance PC or get an iMac or Mac Pro?  Thanks for your input!

Fletcher

If its going to be a dedicated machine for audio... its pretty much flip a quarter and have a shitload of RAM/ memory.

Peace
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Jeff Ling

• Real Full Name: Jeffrey Ling

Responding to a Mac or PC question is always dangerous, but I'll do it anyway. I use both Mac and PC every day, and I have for years. Mac costs more but gives me less trouble, PC's cost less but give me more trouble. If I had to pick one for Pro Tools, I'd pick a Mac hands down. But that's just me. I have found though, that having Pro Tools on my laptop is something I would miss greatly.

Manning

• Real Full Name: Manning Bartlett

I'd almost agree with the above, but with one caveat. While Macs can give you less grief from a software point-of-view, if a Mac's hardware goes bad you will be hit for some big repair bills.

In recent years I've personally had far more hardware faults than I ever experienced back in the G3/G4/G5 days. I've currently got 3 Mac Pros (an 08, an 09 and an 2011 series) and between them I've had to replace five motherboards plus the factory RAM on two of them (and one hard drive failure).

Granted this is nothing but anecdotal evidence, but from things I've heard on other forums, others have had similar problems. It's been enough for me to start migrating everything to a Windows PC. Computers are really just commodity items nowadays anyway, so go for the value for money angle.
Studio Laughing Duck, Sydney Australia (opening Feb 2013)
http://studiolaughingduck.com (only some pics at the moment, work in progress).
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 22 queries.