R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Silver C414B-ULS  (Read 7672 times)

Noah Cole

Silver C414B-ULS
« on: October 03, 2012, 12:00:40 PM »

I'm having a hard time finding information on what differentiates this from a black B-ULS.

Klaus, I did find a thread on the AKG forums from almost 10 years ago where you seemed to differentiate, but since it was not directly related to the exact topic, it left me a little confused.

klaus

Re: Silver C414B-ULS
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 01:11:36 PM »

Aside of the recent quasi-C414 EB reissues (nothing really related to the originals under the hood, and up close even the housing parts are different in shape), AKG has issued no silver-bodied 414 mic after the demise of the C414 EB, ca. 1985, so I am not sure what you may be referring to in your subject line?
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

radiovinhet

• Real Full Name: Luis Fernando
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 04:05:43 PM »

414 c-buls don't have silver model. In this case, we have 2 options: a fake c414 b-uls that had black paint removed or a  c414 eb model.

Noah Cole

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 12:18:29 AM »

I rented these 414's from a friend, and since I don't currently have them on hand to find any more details, I have asked him to provide some photos of the mics.

Will post when I receive them from him.

Thanks for your help.

musicalnyc

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 10:07:28 PM »

Hi,
I used to have a pair of them.  They have the electronics of AKG 414 B-ULS but contain the "remodeled" capsule used in the C12VR.  That and the nickel finish are the only differences from the stock B-ULS.  Also, they were only available as a stereo set.  Here is the original AKG press release and press photos:

"AKG Announces C 414 B-ULS/SE Special Edition Microphones

Oct 6, 2002

In honor of its historic C 414 EB microphone, AKG Acoustics is introducing its new C 414 B-ULS/SE Special Edition Stereo Set with a classic nickel finish. The microphone's finish resembles the silver outer housing of the original C 414 EB that was produced between 1976 and 1986. Under the retro exterior, however, the C 414B-ULS/SE sports the latest in AKG engineering. The computer-matched stereo set consists of two C 414B-ULS large-diaphragm, multi-pattern, stereo condenser microphones.

The C 414-ULS/SE microphones utilize a revamped version of the CK 12 capsule. This particular capsule was also used in AKG's C 12 and C 24 microphones. This remodeled and modern capsule (which is also currently used in the manufacture of C 12 VR and C 414B-TLII microphones) features a special accentuation of high frequencies in the bands around 5 kHz and 10 kHz. The CK 12 capsule enables the C 414-ULS/SE microphone set to record solo vocals or solo instruments without sounding metallic, harsh, or brittle. "The new C 414 B-ULS/SE Special Edition Stereo Set combines both legendary sound and new technology," says Tom Stotler, AKG Acoustics U.S. Market Development Manager for Music and Touring Sound. "Whether used live on stage or recording in a studio, the microphones in the C 414-ULS/SE set deliver crisp, transparent quality sound reproduction.

The C 414-ULS/SE Special Edition Stereo Set comes with two H 100 elastic spider suspensions, two W 414 windscreens, and a H 50 stereo bar that allows the user to mount both microphones on one microphone stand. These microphones are packaged in a durable hard shell carrying case. The C 414 B-ULS/SE set lists for $ 2,100.00."

-Peter Lerman

klaus

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 01:25:10 AM »

"The new C 414 B-ULS/SE Special Edition Stereo Set combines both legendary sound and new technology,"

Hence my original comment: allusions to past grandeur, nothing more. Other than that: a utility tool, whose resale value on the secondary market reflects its limited appeal.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

Jim Williams

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 11:57:47 AM »

If limited appeal means you will find the B-ULS in just about any major studio in the world, AKG is probably happy about that. They made thousands of them and they are everywhere. Some consider them "desert island" mics due to their adaptability and multiple pattern/pad/roll-off choices.

They may not have the mysticism of a rare Neumann model, but for many users, they get the job done.

Kai

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 04:39:16 PM »

but for many users, they get the job done.
More then this, for some jobs they are my first choice (trumpet and other brass, solo violin, ... e.g)
Whenever an instrument has a strong treble range in close pickup and needs some body without sounding muddy.

But not the TL II - version with this fake C12 capsule.

Regards
Kai

klaus

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 05:07:39 PM »

The mic which is the topic of this thread USES the capsule you do not like.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 20 queries.