R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shortening of lead time...  (Read 3982 times)

Thomas W. Bethel

• Real Full Name: Thomas W. Bethel
  • When only the best will do.
Shortening of lead time...
« on: September 04, 2012, 10:45:59 AM »

Anyone else notice clients having less lead times for projects? I cannot believe what people are asking for in terms of lead time for their projects to be mastered. Latest case in point a potential client wanted to come over in the early afternoon when he called me in the morning because he needed to get his material to the CD pressing plant by the next day. Wow talk about not planning ahead. Just wondering...
Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

Celebrating 29 years in business in 2024

When only the best will do...

Twerk

• Real Full Name: Shawn Hatfield
Re: Shortening of lead time...
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 12:17:25 PM »

Very few projects come in these days with any sort of lead time. Most of my clients want the masters back within a few days at most.

My theory is that the old model of releasing music, through established labels that had a good understanding of the logistics of each phase, has changed dramatically in the last ten years. These days, artists are often the ones releasing the music themselves or are working for Internet labels that are new and have no physical merchandise. Everything can happen "instantly" from the inception of the music, to the promotion via social media, to the release via Bandcamp. Twenty years ago, it was in everyones best interest to generate enough publicity before the actual release, to ensure the label would be able to unload all of the physical merchandise. So it meant taking out ads in magazines, sending out promos, and giving the distributor a release date. This gave the mastering engineer a nice buffer of time to work with. When you're promoting your label on Facebook, and selling Mp3's on Bandcamp, there's not a lot of risk.

Just my two cents.

jdg

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 08:48:36 PM »

all the time, but that doesn't mean I'm going to stress out about their timing problems.
either i can't do it in their time frame, or i can. mostly i can't unless i had a buncha cancelations (happens)
John McCaig
-the caption captain

Treelady

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 01:12:31 PM »

You can have rush fees, put them on  your web, and if you agree to the project, you have to add the fees.  If someone complains you say "I had to charge a rap group and a country group these fees last week.  I can't charge one set of clients and not charge another set of clients - that's not fair.  And I won't have people accusing me of not being fair."  For example: 48 hour rush: add $100 24 hour rush:  add $200.  Same day, add $300.    These fees will also tell you who REALLY has a rush vs. who doesn't.  Some artists will look you in they eye and tell you they need it immediately, but they don't need it for 3 weeks.   People are strage. 

OR

You can just accept the jobs, add no rush fees and get an ulcer over it.   

Both work.

SafeandSoundMastering

• Real Full Name: Barry Gardner
  • My analogue rack
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 01:31:15 PM »

I put a rush fee up because sometimes I can/want to do provide a quick response despite being busy and that comes at a premium as it's overtime in my eyes. Most jobs are turned around within 2-7 days here. I have a few clients that seem to need the work returned within 24 hours but most people have an understanding that if you are any good at what you do you will have plenty of work on.

cheers

SafeandSound Mastering
Online mastering services
Barry Gardner
SafeandSound Mastering UK based online mastering studio.

Thomas W. Bethel

• Real Full Name: Thomas W. Bethel
  • When only the best will do.
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 06:04:03 PM »

I put a rush fee up because sometimes I can/want to do provide a quick response despite being busy and that comes at a premium as it's overtime in my eyes. Most jobs are turned around within 2-7 days here. I have a few clients that seem to need the work returned within 24 hours but most people have an understanding that if you are any good at what you do you will have plenty of work on.

cheers

SafeandSound Mastering
Online mastering services

If you change your days to hours that is what a lot of my clients want today. They wait until the last possible minute because they are remixing the tracks up until the bitter end and then want miracles done TODAY preferably before the post office closes. If you say you are busy they say "so can I drop it off at 2 and pick it up at 4?" When you say no they get offended. If they would give me some time to work I think I could turn out much better mastering but they want things done immediately if not sooner. When you ask how long they have been working on the project they say three months to three years but their CD release party is next Saturday and DiskMakers wants/needs the CD by tomorrow. When you mention DDP they look at you like you are talking a foreign language. If you say you can get to it tomorrow they say "do you know anyone else that can master this today?" I don't know why they are in such a rush. I think CD release parties should be scheduled AFTER the CDs are in hand and not before the mastering is done but... I am not in their position.
Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

Celebrating 29 years in business in 2024

When only the best will do...

SafeandSoundMastering

• Real Full Name: Barry Gardner
  • My analogue rack
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 02:28:11 PM »

That is a shame really as best work can never be rushed. ultimately a choice as to whether you have the inclination / need to work that way. I think everyone will do a fat turnaround job when it suits them but they sometimes end up being long and annoying without normal head space and time. As soon as you are pressured in an unnatural way things tend to go less smooth in both communications and actual work itself as they are often dependent on each other.
Barry Gardner
SafeandSound Mastering UK based online mastering studio.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 18 queries.