R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Insist on the serial number when buying a mic on EBay!  (Read 3445 times)

klaus

Insist on the serial number when buying a mic on EBay!
« on: October 05, 2012, 04:21:14 PM »

After messaging the seller of this U87:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160895274649&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

he declined to disclose the fact that the mic's serial number had been rubbed out.

Lesson for the day: If you believe that the presence of a serial number is important to you, make sure to get it from the seller before you spend the first dime on the purchase! Mics with missing serial numbers have a reduced resale value, because they usually had been stolen at one point in the past.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Kai

Re: Insist on the serial number when buying a mic on EBay!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 04:34:18 PM »

that the mic's serail number had been rubbed out.
How do you know?
I have a U87 of about the same age, S.No. 26###.
The number is engraved in the inner part of the bell and can only be seen from downside.
Non of the sellers photos shows this area.

Regards
Kai

mike zietsman

• Real Full Name: mike zietsman
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 04:46:30 PM »

Klaus,
out of interest - what era would you say that u87 is from? Would I be wrong if I thought it was an early seventies one?

I say this because the model number is indicated only as u87 as opposed to "u87i" and the components on pcb look similar to my early seventies u87 (which to my ears sounded better than any of the four or five u87s of varying vintages and revisions that I have owned)

Also is it just me or does the lining in the top of the case he has it in look collapsed? Generally when I have seen the foam in those cases collapse it has left a horrible damp, tar like gunk of decomposing foam that would be the death of any capsule that came near it.

klaus

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 05:06:53 PM »

How do you know?
I have a U87 of about the same age, S.No. 26###.
The number is engraved in the inner part of the bell and can only be seen from downside.
Non of the sellers photos shows this area.

Before I posted my concerns, I exchanged PMs with the seller. See more details here:

http://prorecordingworkshop.lefora.com/2012/10/05/u87-on-ebay-with-rubbed-out-serial-number/
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 24 queries.