R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Knif Soma in the house.......  (Read 19510 times)

Michael Hynes

Re: Knif Soma in the house.......
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 07:44:23 AM »

9 Days and counting ;)

Michael Hynes

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2012, 02:05:39 PM »

Well the eagle has landed!

I have to say this is the most happy I have ever been with a gear purchase. Jonte is a great guy and Brad over
at Transaudio has been amazing as well. The unit itself is built to a standard that I have not seen previously
and in use it has functionally replaced two units. A little Mio or Sonorus eq for micro surgery and then the Soma
for the heavy lifting and presto......

Some words from the builder as to the specs for those more Geeky than myself!

"Measurements for this unit put 20Hz and 20kHz at -0.31dB ref to mid band.

Even extreme curves match well between channels. Absolute frequency markings are in good agreement with measured curves. (something that is not very typical for passive EQs, but I pay a lot of attention to coils inductance when winding them)

Channel separation is 80dB @ 10kHz, 100dB @ 1kHz (in stereo mode of course).

Worst case noise, when all bands are at max, at their most buzzing frequencies, filters on and MS matrix on, is -80dBu A-weighted. At any normal setting it is better than -90dBu A-weighted and -86dBu unweighted, which still makes the dynamic range 110dB. Pretty damn good for LC-based EQ and better than most solid state EQs too.

Max output level before clipping is 25dBu, less in the bass, 24dBu at 50Hz, 22dBu @ 30Hz, though the clipping in bass, due to transformer cores, is very mild in nature. (And well, who has seen pure sine wave at 20Hz at full scale in any recording...whale songs perhaps? Just that you KNOW how this unit behaves when mastering for marine mammals)

Any gain switch positions match within 0,04dB, most match within 0,01dB. Master trims match perfectly."

I love this EQ......

Best,

Michael

aleatoric

• Real Full Name: Mark Trewella
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2012, 06:30:28 PM »

That's one sexy EQ!  Enjoy!!

PBM

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2012, 11:14:12 AM »

Well the eagle has landed!

I have to say this is the most happy I have ever been with a gear purchase. Jonte is a great guy and Brad over
at Transaudio has been amazing as well. The unit itself is built to a standard that I have not seen previously
and in use it has functionally replaced two units. A little Mio or Sonorus eq for micro surgery and then the Soma
for the heavy lifting and presto......

Some words from the builder as to the specs for those more Geeky than myself!

"Measurements for this unit put 20Hz and 20kHz at -0.31dB ref to mid band.

Even extreme curves match well between channels. Absolute frequency markings are in good agreement with measured curves. (something that is not very typical for passive EQs, but I pay a lot of attention to coils inductance when winding them)

Channel separation is 80dB @ 10kHz, 100dB @ 1kHz (in stereo mode of course).

Worst case noise, when all bands are at max, at their most buzzing frequencies, filters on and MS matrix on, is -80dBu A-weighted. At any normal setting it is better than -90dBu A-weighted and -86dBu unweighted, which still makes the dynamic range 110dB. Pretty damn good for LC-based EQ and better than most solid state EQs too.

Max output level before clipping is 25dBu, less in the bass, 24dBu at 50Hz, 22dBu @ 30Hz, though the clipping in bass, due to transformer cores, is very mild in nature. (And well, who has seen pure sine wave at 20Hz at full scale in any recording...whale songs perhaps? Just that you KNOW how this unit behaves when mastering for marine mammals)

Any gain switch positions match within 0,04dB, most match within 0,01dB. Master trims match perfectly."

I love this EQ......

Best,

Michael

Heavily edited version of the review I wrote for Sound on Sound (none of the puns are mine) has just hit the shelves:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov12/articles/knif-soma.htm

Cheers,

Eric

Philosophers Barn Mastering
www.phibarnmastering.co.uk

Michael Hynes

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2012, 02:00:05 PM »

Thanks for the review eric!

I will have to pony up and buy the pdf.......
As for the new Soma....
I am blown away at how little effort it takes to shape a track with this thing.
Working on a modern soul record today I got a chance to do some nice
low shelf boost and I must say again the low end is massive and clear!

Michael Hynes

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2012, 08:15:22 AM »

After using this EQ on a lot more projects I must report back that I am still smitten.....
It takes literally half the time to EQ a track than my previous chain.
Excuse my glee....
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 20 queries.