R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lo-fi equipment experiences  (Read 3284 times)

Michaelrophones

• Real Full Name: Michael McNally
Lo-fi equipment experiences
« on: July 13, 2012, 10:05:19 AM »

Apologies if this has been explored before, but I was wondering what experiences you guys have had with lo-fi or 'broken' equipment?

I understand that there are a whole host of plug-ins out there that will degrade and distort, but I'd like to hear your experiences with using lo-fi microphones, broken microphones, dictaphones, intruments and so on at source, and what they were.

I have an Olympus dictaphone that I'm in love with at the moment for recording my vocals and thought it might make for interesting discussion.
Michael McNally
Part-Time Music Producer/Musician

Jim Williams

Re: Lo-fi equipment experiences
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 12:35:25 PM »

I come from a low-fi background. Mostly because back then I was young and poor. I made do with everything and anything.

The lack of money and the benefit of electrical skills lead me to build much of my own stuff 30+ years ago. I built a console, all my outboard including EQ's, compressors, even my spring reverb was home brew. What I didn't build I extensivly modified, the tape machines.

That being said, everytime something sounded better and not trashy, I got 'stimulated' to do more. Yes, I've grown out of most of my low-fi desires. I can still mess up a recording as well as the best, but have found more satisfaction in hearing quality audio.

Fletcher

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 12:21:16 AM »

Each has its place.

I like to cite the example - if "Katy Lied" sounded like "Exile on Main St." or if "Exile on Main St." had the audio of "Katy Lied"... both albums would have sucked ass... but as they are, both are great.

There is a place for the highest audio quality possible, and there is a place for "attitude audio"... neither should be the definitive mantra... but given a "default position", highest audio quality possible should really be the default position [or at least in my twisted world... YMMV].

Peace
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Bill Philbrick

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 03:55:03 PM »

Each has its place.

I like to cite the example - if "Katy Lied" sounded like "Exile on Main St." or if "Exile on Main St." had the audio of "Katy Lied"... both albums would have sucked ass... but as they are, both are great...

Peace

Depends on who you ask.  I know many who freely and excessively opine that those two particular records are examples of polar opposites in musical value.

Or put more succinctly:  one is dreck, the other is a masterpiece.

But of course,  "De gustibus non est disputandum".

8)

Fletcher

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 07:27:59 AM »

Personally - I think they're both masterpieces in their own realm.  Just like you'd be way out of place if you walked into a "Roadhouse Biker Bar" in a suit and tie on a Sunday afternoon... you would also be way out of place walking into a "5 Star Restaurant" with 'engineers boots', jeans and a T-shirt with the sleeves ripped off.

To me, those two albums exemplify the audio being in complete and total support of the musical statement... which in my twisted world is exactly how it should be.  The audio becomes part of the music, and is appropriate for that music.  If you listen to later Stones stuff [like "Bridges To Babylon"] the audio is brilliant, which in many ways gets in the way of the overall presentation... at least in my world, your mileage may vary.

Peace
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 21 queries.