R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sontec products- is Burgess completely back in action in 2012?  (Read 3135 times)

Pchicago

Thinking of buying a Sontec EQ and wondering if the company is up and running reliably etc..

Fletcher

Re: Sontec products- is Burgess completely back in action in 2012?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 03:16:20 PM »

Its been years since I even attempted to contact Burgess... I'd suggest you try to find a direct number for the company.  I will say that when I was able to deal with Sontec on a somewhat regular basis [into the early 90's before Burgess dropped off the face of the Earth] that the products were HIGHLY unreliable and unless there have been a boatload of changes, I wouldn't go near one with a 10' pole.

There are all kinds of tools that do what they do that are far more reliable than anything I saw from Sontec back in the day.

Peace
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Jim Williams

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 11:20:30 AM »

Seems everytime I see one in a room, it's broken and waiting for replacement opamps or transistors.

Good choice if you need an extra hobby on the weekend.

Krackle

• Real Full Name: Peter Mharf
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 12:01:09 AM »

Well, couldn't log in under my old name, which was old, but never used..i'm the original query boy on this thread, new account.

Bought this Sontec EQ after demoing it, cracking the lid and documenting all the Opamps and Cards  and then making solid contact with Burgess and having a conversation about repairs, opamps, cards, pots, buildings, food, women and liquor.

I have to say, this is a very nice sounding eq, fairly clean and honest, great top end, Low end is proving worthy..MIDs..jury is still out on the greatness in the mids, very usable but not a big boost point. Great setup with 2 identical low sections per side and 2 identical high sections per side..1 of each pair with a deep  shelf option..finding this to be an incredible feature. Anyway, gag me with a spoon, it's awesome.

Guess I totally jibed against the big scros in this thread on this one..

Hope the ^&*#er doesn't break, is all.

(do you have to do a captcha and then math problems every time you post on this board? Worse than waiting to go through security at LaGuardia)

Fletcher

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 11:28:38 AM »

Sorry about the login struggle... we had a bit of a problem being bombarded by some Russian spammers [not kidding, I sincerely wish I were] so if you do have to do some kind of "math gyrations" it won't happen after a couple of posts [if that long].

On the Sontec... you mentioned you had been in contact with Burgess... has that been lately?
CN Fletcher

If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Krackle

• Real Full Name: Peter Mharf
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 02:39:50 AM »

I spoke to him 2 weeks ago and he was forthcoming re all my questions etc. I called and he picked up and off we went, nice dude.

Fletcher

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 08:55:37 AM »

Good to know!!
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 24 queries.